5 week old chick with legs locked forward, no balance

below_gravity

Songster
14 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Jutland, New Jersey
We have a five week old Cornish cross chick who is having trouble. It appears that her legs are locked forward. And she sits on her butt, not on her belly like the rest of the chicks. I've been reviewing vitamin deficiencies, but nothing seems to match up. She does not have curled toes. She is not thriving. Trying to figure out what to do, or if we should cull her.

Does it look like this? That's spraddle leg. You can correct it by hobbling them. I would separate him if he's hobbled so he doesn't get knocked into his water. They can drown when hobbled, so be careful.

Nope, not spraddle leg. Legs are out forward and "stuck". Chick is very uncomfortable if you bend the legs. She can't stand on her own ( she could yesterday with encouragement).

This sounds to me like one of the more common problems with Cornish X...lameness due to rapid weight gain. I guess some of them flat out break their legs under the strain, but they can also have severe joint pain, tendon ruptures, etc.. Honestly, I think the most humane thing to do is cull her.

Back
Top Bottom