5 week old chick with legs locked forward, no balance

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by below_gravity, May 21, 2016.

1. below_gravity

below_gravity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Jutland, New Jersey
    We have a five week old Cornish cross chick who is having trouble. It appears that her legs are locked forward. And she sits on her butt, not on her belly like the rest of the chicks. I've been reviewing vitamin deficiencies, but nothing seems to match up. She does not have curled toes. She is not thriving. Trying to figure out what to do, or if we should cull her.

2. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    [​IMG]

Does it look like this? That's spraddle leg. You can correct it by hobbling them. I would separate him if he's hobbled so he doesn't get knocked into his water. They can drown when hobbled, so be careful.
    [​IMG]

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If the leg can't be moved, it's not spraddle leg, and can't be fixed. It's time for euthanasia then. Mary

4. below_gravity

Apr 2, 2009
    Jutland, New Jersey
    Nope, not spraddle leg. Legs are out forward and "stuck". Chick is very uncomfortable if you bend the legs. She can't stand on her own ( she could yesterday with encouragement).

5. below_gravity

Apr 2, 2009
    Jutland, New Jersey
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    This sounds to me like one of the more common problems with Cornish X...lameness due to rapid weight gain. I guess some of them flat out break their legs under the strain, but they can also have severe joint pain, tendon ruptures, etc.. Honestly, I think the most humane thing to do is cull her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by