1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AJFarms S, Apr 6, 2016.

1. AJFarms S

AJFarms S New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    My chicks feathers have not developed correctly. On Saturday she started stumbling around brooder. As of Sunday she won't walk or lift her upper body. She can drag herself around some. She is not eating and I have tried some hand feeding. Can anyone help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you had this chick since she was days old? Has she been eating a drinking normally? Get her on some chick vitamins in her water right away, and make sure that she is drinking or give it with a dropper. Baby vitamins(polyvisol no iron) 2-3 drops orally once a day could be good if she isn't drinking well. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? How old is she exactly? Try feeding her a bit of plain yogurt mixed with some raw egg and her feed daily.

3. AJFarms S

AJFarms S New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    I hatched her and two other chicks. She has received no vaccinations. I don't know what to vaccinate and where to get it. She has ate and drank normally till this weekend. I syringe water her several times a day. I bought a vitamin for her from TSC. But they didn't have chick vitamins. I have been giving her yogurt via a syringe several times a day. I'll add the egg. She hatched March 5th.

4. AJFarms S

AJFarms S New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Sorry, it is B-12 vitamin I purchased.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    TSC normally has SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes, Rooster Booster and Durvet brands. She needs a multivitamin with electrolytes for now--the B12 is not enough. Mareks vaccine is mostly given at hatcheries, and it would be too late to do it now. I just needed to know if she was vaccinated in case Mareks disease might be a possibility. Let us know how she gets along.

6. AJFarms S

AJFarms S New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    My little chick did not make it. Thank you for your help.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Very sorry that you lost your chick.

8. AJFarms S

AJFarms S New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Thanks. Next time I'll have this information sooner and maybe that will help. Praise the Lord the other 2 chicks I hatched are doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by