5 week old chicken not growing

hammonds

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
marion
i have a brown leghorn and she is not growing. she eats drinks just fine all the others are alot bigger thay are outside now but i kept her inside.

Has she always been smaller? You didn't get a bantam thrown in with the others did you? If she is just somewhat smaller (not half the size like a bantam), she may just be a slow developer. As long as she is healthy I think you are OK.

she is not growing still small.look about 3 day old i had her for 9 weeks . i have brought in a slikie to keep with her slikie has made a good mon to her. but will she stay this small. she is health but i cant put her outside with all other chickens:
sad.png
please help she has no life in the house.

I bought 3 Bourbon Red turkey poults about 4 weeks ago. Two of them have really grown but the 3rd is still little. It is 1/2 the size of her siblings. She eats, drinks and acts healthy. I just let her be and accept the fact she is little and can hold her own. If there are no other signs of illness there is not much else you can do but make sure she has fresh water and feed. JMO

I had this happen with an Andalusian baby of mine. He still looks a lot smaller than the others, no tail feathers, nothing. I separated him from the others for several weeks, and put a baby guinea in with him. He finally started feathering out about 6 weeks old. He's 13 now, and has lost all his down. I thought about culling him, but I decided to wait it out. He's coming along slowly, and I've moved him back in with the others.

I really did think something was wrong with him. He seems ok now.

Shelly

she died today . she still look the same as she did the day i got her. i dont understand why she was'nt growing.
sad.png

When a chick doesn't grow properly, and you know that there was proper access to food/water, etc., and conditions weren't too crowded, then you can bet that there was just something wrong with the chick.

Just as in people, sometimes, chicks are born "disabled". I usually have at least one each batch of chicks I raise.

My latest batch was 50 Freedom Rangers broilers. One was just half the size of the others, but I had enough space/feeders/waterers, etc. that she grew, but when the others dressed out at 4 lbs, she is maybe 3 lbs?

For my last batch of 500 layers.....I have a little stunted one, who is thin (the others are NOT!), and I can tell from her wattles/comb that she isn't laying, but she's still alive at 9 months old. I am simply too kind-hearted to cull her - though I should.

I also had a spraddle-legged chicken that I tried to fix but simply couldn't. She didn't grow either, and eventually died.

Some chicks simply do not develop correctly, and therefore, will die early. Please don't beat yourself up about it - it's just part of life and death, although it is heart-breaking.

Best wishes,
Rachel
Bellecreek Farm, TX

I had one like that I called her sweetie. My others were three months old and she still hadn't grown a bit. I would say she was no bigger than a northern sparrow.

But other than that she did great until....out of no where she couldn't breath to well and we lost her. Though I don't think that had anything to do with her size.

All the other chicks were four times her size at least.

Back
Top Bottom