5 week old chickens are lethargic and not drinking well...please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cc44, Apr 16, 2011.

1. cc44

cc44 New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    I am a new chicken owner and have 10, 5 wk. old chicks that have been lethargic and not drinking well for about a week. 2 died last night. Put Sulmet in their water today, but they aren't drinking much, so very concerned. Please advise. They have been in a new trough with pine shavings cleaned weekly. Thank you for any advice given!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Need more info. My first thought is they could be too hot or not getting enough fresh air and being bothered by the ammonia and general air quality.

3. cc44

cc44 New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    I thought air quality could be a possibility and put them in the brooder 2 days ago. That was the night the 2 died. But I am going to put them in a rabbit cage tonight to see if that makes a difference. Another sympton is their balance. They are having trouble walking. There are 4 others that don't seem to be affected. I put them in the brooder with some I bought 2 days ago. Trying to keep them separated in case it's contagious. All the Rhode Island & New Hampshire Reds are affected and only one game hen. The 4 that seem to be fine are game hens. Also, I don't know if they've been vaccinated.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by