5 week old chicks anxiety every evening at dusk

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by burleighrooster, Oct 15, 2014.

1. burleighrooster

burleighrooster New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    I'm at my wit's end about this - for about the past fortnight, my two chicks, now 5 weeks old, have started loudly chirping when it gets to about 5pm. One chick is louder than the other, I wonder if she's the one starting it, and setting the other off, though the other chick doesn't get as agitated as her. They can go for hours, despite my going to them - they have a heat lamp, are indoors in a makeshift enclosure with roosting spars, fresh water, plenty of food. I had wondered if they were seeking attention but when I go to them they continue to loudly chirp.

I'm trying to integrate them into their outdoor pen - they are happy there throughout the day but come 5pm, they start their loud chirping. So I've been bringing them inside, fearing that they're cold out there as they're not quite 6 weeks.

Can anyone help? I again stress, they are happy and healthy looking all day, they just seem to become incredibly agitated at dusk.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Do they have a roost to get up on? Its instinct for them to get up off the ground as dark approaches. If they can't they get upset.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you joined the flock. I too have had this problem with chicks. My own personal thoughts are that they start doing it when they are tired and ready to roost. Even now my five months olds have a kerfuffle and chirp to each other before they go into the coop of an evening. Then there is generally a sorting out who is perching where in the coop before they eventually settle. I'm sure they will be fine if they look healthy and happy and are eating and drinking normally. Good luck with them :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by