5 week old chicks. Still need heat lamp???

AbiandAmi

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Hello
I have two 5 week old chicks.
Their brooder is currently about 70 degrees farrenheit. It is winter where I live and the nights get down to about 50-60 farrenheit (sometimes colder).
I tried turning their heat lamp off when it was 65 degrees in the house but they just freaked out!
I dont know what to do. I know I need to get them use to not having heat but I dont want them to get cold at the same time.
I am currently using a 100watt heat lamp. Should I change the bulb to a 50 watt just so they have some heat source??

Please help!

I would change it for a night then remove it. They often "freak out" at any change, certainly when they are suddenly in the dark at night. If they don't pile on top of one another, they are not too cold. They should be ready to live outdoors without a heat source within a week or less.

Around 4 weeks I let my girls have a heat lamp only at night if the temp was going to drop to low 50s or below. You could try giving them a lower watt bulb. My girls are in a darker corner in my garage so I moved their light all the way to the ceiling and put a normal 60ish watt light in just if needed, mostly for me lol but when they go back into their brooder at night after being out all day I leave the light on for them for a bit so they can eat and drink before bed.

If I remember correctly I did a fairly quick change over to no heat lamp and my girls did just fine.

Thanks so much:) I might talk my husband into hanging the light from the ceiling to make me feel better;)
SobbaChickens How old were yours when you stopped bringing them in at night? And do you remember what the temps were??

Thanks so much:) I might talk my husband into hanging the light from the ceiling to make me feel better;)
SobbaChickens How old were yours when you stopped bringing them in at night? And do you remember what the temps were??
The temps now are ranging from the occasional 50 something to high 80s here, mother nature is sure throwing a hissy fit! My girls are way too old still be in the brooder but due to things out of my control, that is where they still are. My family made a temporary chicken run for them, so every morning between 6:30-8am I take them out of the brooder and put them in the run. I put them back into the brooder between 8-9pm.

They have not had the heat lamp since 4wks old, the week I decided I was stopping it the weather really warmed up (nothing below 50s).

I've been very lucky with my chicks, and they have probably made me a little too comfortable lol None of them have ever been sick or acted strangely. They just seem to roll with whatever happens. Today they spent the day in their run and it rained all morning, I checked them a million times figuring they'd be scared or getting wet, but they were just hanging out, walking around, and going into the shelter I got for them in the run. They have spoiled me big time!

Thank you both for your help:)
I left their light off all afternoon until 9 last night and they seemed ok. I don't think they were cold. I put a 50 watt bulb in over night and now they are having their light off all day today! I can't wait to get home and check on them now!
My plan is to leave it on just at night for tonight and then turn it off for good.
Thanks again for your help:):)

Back
Top Bottom