5 week old chicks that are sick.... please advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannon7146, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Shannon7146

Shannon7146 New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    I purchased my americauna's 2 weeks ago from an organic farmer and last week all five developed lesions on eyes, comb and legs. I thought it was avian pox, but three days ago one developed inability to walk and now all are clumsy, with difficulty moving, walking and paralysis. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for disease ideas, treatments etc., Thanks so much!!!![​IMG]

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I don't have any idea, but I didn't want you to feel like you're question was being ignored. Has there been any visible blood in their stool? Just wanted to rule out cocci. Wouldn't explain the lesions, but could explain the stumbling/paralysis.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Mareks maybe? [​IMG]

4. Shannon7146

Shannon7146 New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    thanks.... any idea's how to treat??? I've been syringe feeding with warm tap water and a little Karo syrup about 40 cc's per day. If I prop them up with a towel and put their heads in the starter feed they will eat.... they just can't walk without falling over.

5. Shannon7146

Shannon7146 New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    I forgot to mention that when I first got them there was blood in their stool, but there is antibiotics in their starter (as that also had me concerned) but the blood stopped within a couple of days of purchase. Thanks again......Mahalo from Maui!!![​IMG]

6. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    You might want to treat with Corid or Sulmet just in case the medicated chick starter is not doing the trick.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wow did you know this when purchased with the idea to get them better.
    Vitamins in the water with electrolytes
    medicated chick feed
    De (diatomaceous earth) in the food, A light soil consisting of siliceous diatom remains and often used as a filtering material. I would mix up a pound in 3 to 4 lbs of sand.
    Do they have mite/ or lice on them?
    The eye thing has me worried and should be looked at by a vet!
    Do you have any other birds bc they need to be quarantined and separated from these birds.

8. Shannon7146

Shannon7146 New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    I did not know that there were mites....(although they were there) or blood in their stools until they were home. I started them on Starter with the antibiotics and it worked for the blood in the stool. I figured that Avian flu was normal in chickens, but really thrown off by the encephalitis symptoms. Again... thanks!!!!![​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:You may even want to give the guy a call or go over (like Maui is so big right) to see him and give him a heads up to treat his flocks and treat them for over 90 days to remove all traces of the pathogens. I am sure he would want to know if he is not aware of it.

You should put them on every 6 months regular worming program or add a teaspoon of DE (diatomaceous earth) to the feed you give them and keep them on it. It will help keep the system clean and free of most bacteria. Put a tub of sand in a space for them with 3 to 1 of 1 lbs of DE (diatomaceous earth) to 3lbs of sand for dust bathing in. Here is a tub I use it is just a dish tub for busing tables with but works good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. Shannon7146

Shannon7146 New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    thanks again everyone.... will try all of above:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by