5 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyChickens09, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    I noticed that my five week old chicks have started sneezing...how can you tell if its something more serious then dust/dander floating in the air? They act perfectly normal..eating drinking and poo all look normal and breathing is normal no gasping for air no discharge from nose or mouth? TIA

2. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    I noticed my older chicks sneezing but I don't think it's a virus like we would think...I think they are just clearing out their beaks from water or other moisture. Also when I give them table food they rub their beaks on things to clean up so I think it is OK. I hope... [​IMG]

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Chickens dont get colds. The chances are it is the dust from bedding- you may want to change it over to something less dusty, it may stop the sneezing

chicksrcool, giving them tabkle food is perfectly fine, and cleaning their beaks on their bedding, is normal. And hey, we have the same ending after the noun [​IMG] - rcool [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm getting a little off topic. [​IMG]

Try changing the bedding, it may stop the sneezing [​IMG]

4. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Quote:Hey eggsrcool, you are right! Great minds think alike [​IMG]
    (and they rub their beaks on me if I'm sitting on the ground handing out fresh tomatoes) [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by