5 week old Delaware pullets...not sure on breed? (Lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frogdogs, Jul 16, 2011.

1. frogdogs

frogdogs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Edinburg
    I ordered 7 Delaware pullets from MyPetChicken that arrived as day old chicks on June 14th, not sure if they are actually Delawares. I know they are hatchery stock that were shipped from Meyers, some are very smutty, what could they be mixed with???

Delawares?? at 3 days of age.
    [​IMG]

Girl 1 (Chick with dark stripes down its back at 3 days)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Girl 2 (Chick on left at 3 days with eye liner & stripe down back of head/neck)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the solid yellow chicks from this group
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and any opinions!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Smut is very normal for this breed at that age. It will clear out as they mature.

See handsome guy in avatar

<----------- have had many Delaware babies come through the Chicken Asylum here. [​IMG]

3. frogdogs

frogdogs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Edinburg
    Quote:Wow! He's absolutely gorgeous!

These girls have so much personality, I'm loving them!! Thanks! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they are usually full of personality, these Delawares. Mine are not from a hatchery--years ago, I hatched a few from McMurray hatchery pair owned by a friend and I hated them. They were the meanest, flightiest chicks you could imagine and I sold them all, had to be talked into hatching from an acquaintance's heritage stock. These redeemed the breed in my eyes. Hope yours are just as sweet for you as they grow up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by