5-Week old EE... Hoping she's just a masculine pullet, but I don't know guys.... =/ Could be a roo?

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I decided to wait a little longer before asking for gender opinions on my little "Tinkerbell". I figure, at five weeks, it might be a little easier to tell. She has five other hatch-mates, all the same age... but there are some differences in shape and appearance between her and the others (not to mention, personality): much more developed comb, wattle coming in already (can't see any on the others), slight difference in posture and overall shape, etc.

What do YOU think? Obviously, I'm hoping she's a pullet. Sexed at the hatchery as a pullet, but there's always that chance!

I tried to take photos from different angles, tried to catch the wattles and comb and tail feathers in decent detail. Let me know if I can add more pictures of what you need to see!

I will also mention... she SOUNDS completely different from the others. She has a much deeper, hoarser chirp. Does this matter? It's very obvious! Maybe she just has a different breed mix in her that has has caused these developmental differences?

I will also mention...that she is my favorite. HUGE personality and very affectionate... bossy with the others, though.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH GUYS!!!

Loves to sit on my feet when I study.

Wattle? I can't see this on any of my others...

Obvious comb formation... also not nearly as developed with my others. You can't tell here, because of the warmer light, but it is also slightly darkening towards the top.... a orange-coral color coming in.

Side shot... feathers.

And her tail!

Last edited:
Early to say for sure, but I'm leaning toward pullet. What you'll want to watch out for is that comb getting three rows and reddening up, along with reddish patches on the wings. Pea combed birds won't get wattles as a rule. Post again in 2ish weeks and you should know for sure by then.

All birds I have had colored like that turned out to be pullets. Definitely hold off, you might be passing on some pretty blue eggies!

Back
Top Bottom