5 week old lethargic buff Orpington

Krista0967

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
My sweet 5 week old buff Orpington has been off the past couple days. Not social with the rest of her flock as usual. Will just stand for long periods of time breathing heavily and droopy eyed. Is very poofy, I thought that was just her breed but maybe she’s holding her wings out a bit? I thought maybe it was heat stroke from the heat lamp I have on at night but I haven’t seen her drink water. She will eat. Is very light though. Didnt notice it at first because she’s so poofy but definitely lighter than the other Orpington I have. She also makes a clicking sound I am 99% sure she is making herself with her beak as I only hear it when she moves her beak. And that’s the only time she opens her beak. Maybe it’s from her breathing? So hard to tell. Her peep is raspy. she is also a little shaky. I read maybe to make her an Electrolyte drink but I’m not sure how much and how often. I’m new to raising chicks. Please help this little one.

Last edited:
5 week old
Will just stand for long periods of time breathing heavily and droopy eyed. Is very poofy, I thought that was just her breed but maybe she’s holding her wings out a bit?
I thought maybe it was heat stroke from the heat lamp I have on at night but I haven’t seen her drink water.
Didnt notice it at first because she’s so poofy
makes a clicking sound I am 99% sure she is making herself with her beak
The symptoms I’m relating to that are being fluffed out and poofy, standing still while breathing heavily, not eating or drinking much I’m worried she’ll soon stop. Lethargic.
It’s not overly warm for her...I put her and her small flock the same age in their hen house at 4 weeks and put the heat lamp on at night. Considered the heat lamp is maybe too warm it hits about 80 degrees f directly under the lamp. It’s about 70 in my bedroom. But again she isn’t drinking water
forgot to say yes her droppings are fine.
Can you please post some clear photos of her poop and of her?

What are you feeding?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

At 5 weeks, lethargic, not eating/drinking and poofy....I would start treating for Coccidiosis.
You can find Corid at feed stores like Tractor Supply.

Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water or Corid Powder dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add anything else to the water but Corid.

If you need to, syringe the mixed Corid solution into her.

At 5 weeks, I would keep her relatively warm at around 70-75F.

I had to look up what and where the crop is 😆 I’ll be sure to check first thing in the morning. She actually seems to be improving. Not sure if it’s because of the medicine...it seemed like she was slightly improving even before it. It’s now been only a few hours since medicine and she’s super chirpy and got out of her box so I’ll calling that progress. Still poofy and clicking. Just not as lethargic.

okay! So in case anyone is reading this and wants to know what happened I soon put her back with the others after she started slowly recovering possibly due to the immune boosters I was giving her. I couldn’t keep her in her box anymore so I took a chance. I was a little worried about infecting the others but everyone has been great! I’ve been putting oregano oil in their water ( a couple drops per gallon jug) and I feed them yogurt every morning which they love. In the beginning I also put a piece of garlic in their water and a very small splash of apple cider vinegar. I’m not sure I’d consider her 100% yet but she’s pretty darn close. A huge improvement. I’d say we are in the clear.

Can you put your ear up to her chest and listen to her breathing? Any eye or nose discharge? Comb pale? Droppings look ok?
I posted a longer reply but forgot to say yes her droppings are fine. No discharge. Her comb seems fine? They are all so young yet their combs are still just the color of their bodies except the roosters is red. So it’s light colored yeah but it’s always been a small light comb yet.

Where are the other chickens? Do they live in a coop? Do they free range or live in a run? What state are you in and what's the weather like?
Are all the chickens the same age? Did you get them from the same place?

No one has diarrhea? Do they have grass to free range on?
Hopefully @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock will know more...It sounded like heat stress but if she is not outside or you don't have a heat lamp on her anymore, I am clueless. Eggcessive has some experience with respiratory illnesses, I'm sure.
You might try some poultry nutri-drench to give her some extra support.

Can you give her SaveAChick, NutraDrench or other electrolytes? Get her drinking water. You say she is poofy. Is she just puffed up, or does she have any air under her skin anywhere around her neck, chest, or sides? Is she still mkaing a clicking sound? I have only seen a leaking air sac (air under the skin from a bump) once, and my chick made a clicking sound with each breath.

Gosh darn will have to wait till morning everything is closed. Thank you all for the advice. Does her poop not look good? I thought it looked normal but what do I know. Should I be buying medicated feed as well? Should I treat the rest of the flock? Can I put her back with her friends? She’s lonely. I’ll do a better job at keeping the food and water clean.
She also makes a clicking sound I am 99% sure she is making herself with her beak as I only hear it when she moves her beak

Flock raiser is fine to give.
You can treat the rest of the chicks with the Corid if you wish, it won't hurt them.

If she's lonely, can you place her near the others? Personally, I leave chickens with their flockmates unless they are getting picked on or I feel they need to be brought inside.

You mentioned earlier that the clicking is when she moves her beak - is her crop empty first thing in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom