5 week old Mottled Cochin Bantam--This is a Roo, Right?

elong7

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2018
Athens, GA
Hi! I'm new to backyardchickens.com and also a first time chicken owner. Just looking for input from the experts and confirmation on what I think I already know to be true. My sweet mottled cochin bantam, Millie, is just 5 weeks old--was supposed to be a "she" when I bought her, but check out the size and color of that comb and wattles. Do others agree Millie is a roo? I'm devastated because I'm totally in love with this bantam, but can't have anything that crows where I live.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 70
Thanks both chick-n-fun and chooksnquilts for your input. I'm so sad--I just love him and will be so sad to take him away from his girls. I thought about the "no crow collar" but it seems inhumane--I will likely have to rehome this sweet guy.

ChooksNQuilts- I live in Athens, GA.
Perhaps you can post in your state thread and find a nice person to take him?

I'm sorry you can't keep him!! Maybe reconsider the no-crow collar? I have experienced the no-crow and it's much better than it looks, they don't like it for a few days but it doesn't hurt them at all.
But it's up to you and I know everybody's birds are different. Hopefully he gets a good home either way!

Back
Top Bottom