5 week old muran pullet - Possible Resp Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beehappy4ever, May 8, 2011.

1. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    This has been the worst two weeks for chickens for us! Earlier this week we had 5 chicks die from a batch of 10 bought at a feedstore. I think we are over that (believe it was Cocci) as we haven't lost any more chicks in the last two days. Unfortunaly one of our 5 week old pullets had goopy eyes two days ago. It started with a clear liquid coming out I also believe I heard a few sneezes from her. I isolated her immediately and started cleaning out the eye with clean water. The eye kept getting worse and soon both eyes were gooped shut, below her right eye is not swolen. I have been cleaning the eye and putting on an antibotic ointment, also have been treating her with sulmet in her water. She wont eat and wont drink (I have been trying to get her to drink by hand) yesterday I came to the decision to end her suffering but when I went out she seemed to be doing a little better and was peeping and moving around. I decided to give her the night and see how she is doing. It looks as if she has lost her feathers on her back and it really the most pathetic looking birdy right now. I have pictures but don't know how to post them. I picked up some Duramycin to try and see if maybe antibotics might help but hate to think of her suffering and starving to death. Is there anything else I can try?

2. beehappy4ever

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi and [​IMG] so sorry you are going through this with your chicks, and for your loss. That little chick looks really sick, poor thing. You are giving her sulmet for cocci or respiratory? I found this when looking for info on Duramycin. It's long but might help you understand what you might be dealing with.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=193203&p=2

4. beehappy4ever

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I gave her the sulmet because at the time it was what I had on hand, I was hoping it might help at this point I am willing to try anything. I stopped giving her the sulmet today when I got the Duramyacin and have been giving her the sulmet but she doesn't seem to be doing any better. If I don't see a change by tonight I think it will be time to end it. I can't bear to watch her suffer any longer.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please read this post i sent you because you have to be knowledgeable about the rest of your flock. I am sorry this is happening and sorry she is so sick. you might try the Duramycin and just see if it will help. you know that the rest of your flock has been exposed so that is why I was hoping you'd read the link I sent, will be thinking of you all and hoping for the best. [​IMG] please keep us updated.

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Tylan 50 injectable from the feed store may be a better choice, You can give 0.25 cc just under the skin subcutaneously for a small chicken. 0.5 for full size. In my experience, when they stop eating they seem to just die. Also, are any others showing sypmptoms? Most of the respiratory diseases are very contagious and most will make the bird a carrier even if they seem to get better. Check out the thread Miss Lydia gave you. A necropsy from your state veterinarian will help you to know what you are dealing with. I am so sorry you have to deal with it. It is truly heartbreaking and the most difficult part of keeping poultry IMHO. Good luck!

7. beehappy4ever

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have kept everyone quarantineed and seperated. None of the other birds are showing any issues and all are still energetic and chirpy. My husband had actually just brought her home last week so she was only with the other pullets for one day before she was seperated out. I read through the link and am keeping a close eye on the other birds. I hate to kill anything but it is time this poor girl needs to end her suffering. Even if she did get better I wouldn't want to mix her with my other birds. I guess I was just looking for a miracle [​IMG] Thank you for the support and info [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's never easy, most of us can vouch for that.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by