5 week old Muscovie Ducklings and supplements.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKCub, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Hey all,
    I've switched my 3 Muscovies from starter duck food to a duck and goose maintenance food. The maintenance food doesn't list any specific vitamin/mineral content. From what I am reading having a Niacin rich diet is still important to these guys for another month or so. Should I be supplementing the maintenance food with a a vitamin/mineral booster?

They have access to a 15 x 50 foot area of dirt and grass and have been tearing up the new grass and dandelions and raspberry plants when they are let out in the morning.

I found a product called "Rooster Booster" which is described as "A pelleted top dressing. Mineral and Vitamin Supplement for Poultry". Would it hurt to add some of this to their food?

Thanks,

Scott

2. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    hi, i ween my ducklings off starter crumble at 5 weeks. i then feed them a mix of ordinary chicken layer pellets, whole wheat and cruched maize till the are 16 weeks then i drop the maize(expensive here at the moment). they also get a little bread and free range grass and bugs, they grow up healthy, i believe the maize fills them out more. no supplements here, i wouldnt stress too much considering you have food specified for ducks. i know of breeders who only feed whole wheat and what they find in the paddocks!

3. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking at feeding the supplement. I figure it's probably like vitamins and most humans- not necessary but not really a bad idea.

Scott

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    My duckling are 5 weeks and I have started them on flock raiser, which is what I use so I dont have to buy 3 different kind of feed. And they get to free range on grass and bugs. No maize for me, its just to expensive. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by