5 week old Olive Eggers (Welsummer x Ameraucana): girls or boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krismcn, Apr 21, 2012.

1. krismcn

krismcn New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Oregon
    I need help sexing my four 5 week old Olive Egger chicks. I got the eggs from kkatknap. They came from Welsummer hens and either a Wheaten or Silver Ameraucana roo (the hens range with the Wheaten during the day and are cooped with the Silver at night). I don't have any experience with Welsummers, or these crosses, so I just don't know what's important. One has very different coloring and almost no comb development, so I thought at first she was the only girl and the rest were boys, but now I don't think it's that simple:

#1 is the odd one out and I'm pretty sure a pullet. She has slate legs, is much lighter in color, and just looks pullet-y. Maybe her daddy's the Silver Am? The other 3 are darker, but not all the same. Maybe they are from the Wheaten roo? # 2 has the generally darker coloration of the rest, but is the darkest overall and has more black in the hackle.
    [​IMG]

Another of #2:
    [​IMG]

#3 has the dark body, but has more orange in the hackle:
    [​IMG]

Definite comb and wattle development, but isn't that common in Welsummer pullets?

[​IMG]

#4 has similar orange in the hackle, but has a slightly larger and darker comb:
    [​IMG]

Another of #4:
    [​IMG]

These chicks are hard to photograph!
    Can anyone get anything out of these pictures? All boys? All girls? One girl, 3 boys? Wait until they crow?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    wanna say 1 pullet 3 roos could you get a better shot of #3's comb

3. krismcn

krismcn New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes. After leading us on a merry chase, here are some close-up head shots. One from the front, one from the side for each.

#2, the one with the blacker hackles. This one just has to be a roo. It was so ****** off at being handled, it tried to bite my fingers! #2 front:
    [​IMG]

Looks like someone took a bite out of the top of his comb. #2 side:[​IMG]

#3 with the more orange hackle. #3 front:
    [​IMG]

#3 side:
    [​IMG]

#4, also with more orange hackles, but with the most developed comb and wattle. #4 front:
    [​IMG]

#4 side:
    [​IMG]

4. krismcn

krismcn New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Oregon
    Anyone? My only real doubt is #3. He/she continues to get more orange while the other 2 are getting darker.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Im guessing the #3 is a pullet.

6. krismcn

krismcn New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Oregon
    Finger's crossed you're right! :) I'd really like one from that cross to be a girl!

7. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    4 looks like a boy. Others could be girls

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2,3, and 4 look like cockerels but im iffy on 3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by