5-week old pullet listless, ruffled, with virulent green diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeckalantern, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jeckalantern

jeckalantern New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    1) 5-week old Dominique (Gertie), not sure about the weight, but she's little.
    2) In sharp contrast to the other chicks, who are alert and peeping happily, Gertie wouldn't get up, keeps her eyes closed, and was even allowing other chicks to step on her. She made no protest when I picked her up, and while her eyes look alert when she decides to open them, mostly she keeps them closed. She keeps making a 'clack clack' sound with her beak, though it may just be when I'm around.
    3) About 5 and a half hours now
    4) No
    5) No bleeding, no injury that I can tell. She's not favoring any particular area of her body, but then she hasn't been moving, so I can't really tell.
    6) We think it may be that she's cropbound, but I don't know if she's too young for that kind of thing. My mom fed the chicks spinach stems recently.
    7) She hasn't been eating or drinking on her own at all.
    8) Her poop is bright bright green, like grass green, with the normal white bits in it.
    9) We've been trying to force her to drink water with a plastic syringe, and I think a fair bit of it has gone down. We also have been feeding her vegetable oil, which seems to perk her up quite a bit. Right now I've been trying 1-2 teaspoons of water every other hour, and 1-2 teaspoons of oil every other hour. I've also been massaging her crop, which I think is helping, but only for a short while before she starts to fall back into her chicken coma
    10 ) I'm trying to treat her myself as far as I can, but if she hasn't improved by tomorrow I may take her into a vet. I know it's just a baby chicken, but since we're so new I would hate to lose one out of pure ignorance. Plus she's one of my favorites!
    11) Currently she's in a large cardboard box in our basement, on soft boxwood bedding, with water and mashed food.

2. jeckalantern

jeckalantern New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    oops, for #4 I meant "No, no other chicks are exhibiting these same symptoms."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by