5 week old quail

heatherndoug

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Newberry
I moved my 5-6 week old quail to the outside pen. There are about 50 of them in a wire bottom pen with hay and light. They are feathered and I am hoping for good results. They were over running the brooders. We are only expecting to get in the 30s tonight. I am also going to cover them with a tarp to eliminate drafts. Wish me luck! Cause I am nervous as a long tailed cat in a room filled with rockin chairs!
fl.gif

What kind of temps were they used to in the brooder. If they weren't gradually acclimated to the colder temperatures, I'd be really afraid that they'll get sick and die, or literally die of hypothermia.

I think I would run a heat lamp in the outside pen, at least at night when it's that cold.

If they were gradually acclimated to the temps, 30's would be nothing. It's the sudden shock that would be the problem.

I moved mine out at 4-5 weeks.. Within a few days it got down to 20.

They are still alive and kicking at about 7 weeks now

I did put a light in and covered them. They seem fine so far and its 42. They had been out all day and it was in the 50's to 60s. Not to mention I keep my house at 60-65 in the winter and they were in here with their light in those temps.

Quote:
YOU'D BE SURPRIZED... THEY CAN BE QUITE COLD TOLERANT. OP STATES ADDITIONAL HAY AND LAMP USE... SO LONG AS THEY DONT HUDDLE THEY WILL DO WELL... THE TARP FOR DRAFTS IS AN ADDED BONUS. SO LONG AS THEY STAY DRY THEY SHOULD BE FINE... THE LEAST WETNESS AND THEY ARE GONNERS WITHIN MINUTES. I DO RECOMMED SEVERE CAUTION COMBINING ADDITIONAL HAY AND HEAT LAMPS TOGATHER.. YOU MIGHT WAKE UP TO SMOKED QUAIL, OR WORSE..

GOOD LUCK WITH THE MUNCHKIN QUAIL
smile.png

COTURNIX quail, and its not a Heat lamp per say its a 100 watt bulb. Its more to take the chill off the cage. I also dont see any rain in our forecast so I dont foresee any wetness. Thanks for the tip though.

We are in North Florida too dont forget. While it has been unseasonably cold its not like you guys up north get. We keep checking on them and they are doing their thing. Not huddled up or anything. I dont want to keep lifting the tarp and let in drafts so I made a small flap I can peak through!

SO LONG AS THEY ARENT HUDDLING THEY WILL BE FINE
smile.png

BUT DO BE MINDFUL OF THE LAMP/ HAY COMBO.... EVEN A SIMPLE 100 WATT CAN HEAT HAY TO COMBUSTION (FANCY WORD FOR FIRE!!!
smile.png
)
PERSONALLY I WOULDNT PLACE THE LIGHT DIRECTLY OVER ANY HAY... OFF TO THE SIDE SURE... BUT NOT DIRECTLY OVER... MAYBE ITS JUST THE RETIRED FIRE FIGHTER IN ME, BUT I HAVE SEEN UGLY THINGS HAPPEN LIKE THAT
idunno.gif

72713_102_4034.jpg

Not anymore huddled than when they were in the house. The cage seems as warm as it was in the day time. When you open the tarp you feel the air is warmer. There are 50 babies in this cage that is 3 ft by 4 ft by 2 ft.

Back
Top Bottom