1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5+ week old RIR and Black Australorp: pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SeaChick, Jun 27, 2007.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    A friends's birds.... Is it too soon to tell? We were hoping these would be our girls when the city passes our chicken ordinance....

5+ weeks old, one RIR and one Australorp. The RIR was the earliest of all her chicks to feather in. Both are very friendly. Their tails are longer than the others, which are other breeds.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im no expert....but IMO..the RIR, hen....the Australorp....jeesh, looking a little roo ish to me. Hope Im wrong. Very nice looking birds!

3. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Well, that's interesting. What makes you say that? I am so curious, because I have no idea at all. The RIR looks more roo-ish to me, she is bigger. But maybe that's just the breed? I sure would be happy if you are right and she turns out to be a pullet we can have. she is super sweet and very pretty/

Anyone else?

4. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I hope that Australorp isn't a roo because it looks a lot like my 5 week old that is supposed to be a pullet. And it's my daughter's favorite chick of course.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fpr comparison, here is a RIR at five weeks old- definitely a cockerel. The second pic is his sister. Look at the leg thickness difference as well as comb and wattles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  6. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thank you speckledhen!!!! Cries of jubilation!

Olivia

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] You're welcome, Olivia. Here is a picture of Scarlett today at 21 weeks old with her half sister in the background. The sister has a Buff Orpington mother and just started laying today.
    [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

they look like girls to me.

9. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    hollyclyff,

Does your Australorp "pullet" have the long tail like that? Maybe it's just a breed thing.

and , Silkiechicken, thanks! Let's hope you are right.

So nice to have this willing group of experienced chicken owners to "talk" to!

Stacey & Olivia

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    SeaChick, what's the timeline on the city passing your ordinance? I sure hope it's quick. Waiting for chicks is so tough. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by