5-week old RIR chicks - can you help to sex them? (pics included)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by reedyfork, Jan 8, 2010.

1. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    We have five, 5-week old RIR (maybe crossed with red comet?) chicks. These are our first chickens, so I need some help sexing them. Because of our city's ordinance, we can only end up with three hens (so I need to find homes for any males). I have my own ideas on which is which, but I won't bias anyone with my uneducated opinions...

If these pics don't show what you need, please let me know and I can take more very easily.

Chick 1: Halloweena
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 2: Poker
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 3: Pinky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 4: Jake
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chick 5: Runner
    [​IMG]

Group shot: (l-r) Pinky, Poker (standing), Jake, and Runner. Halloweena's not in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts? I'll do my best to descibe their behavior or anything else.

Thanks!!!

Ron

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Chick 1: Halloweena Rooster

Chick 2: Poker Rooster

Chick 3: Pinky Rooster

Chick 4: Jake Hen

Chick 5: Runner Hen

Chris

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Quote:Agree with these for the most part..... #1 doesn't have too big of a comb though....it could be hen.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Poker is the only one I would call rooster at this point. Not convinced of Halloweena or Pinky yet, could be both hens...

5. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    So that I can learn a little for next time, would you all mind telling me what characteristics, appearance, etc. that your looking at to help decide? Comb, legs, feathering, overall appearance, or what? Is there anything specific I can post photos of to help?

Poker is the only one I would call rooster at this point. Not convinced of Halloweena or Pinky yet, could be both hens...

I have to agree with you, just based on my observations. Poker is the biggest, largest/pinkest comb, thickest legs, and most "protective". He actually earned his name early on because he was the one that would approach and peck my hand, the rake, the scoop, or anything else, while the rest kind of ran to the corner.

I believe Jake and Runner to both almost definitely be females. They are the two smallest, most "feminine" looking, skinier legs, and tend to run and/or crouch when surprised or something is overhead.

Pinky and Halloweena are the two question marks for me. Pinky's comb size/color, body size, and leg thickness are very similar to Poker, and I would lean towards calling him a male.

Halloweena was the first to develop tail feathers and start to feather out. Almost as big as the two I think are males, but seems to have a small, or "feminine" head and comb.

Thanks for any more input!

Ron​

6. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    I'm still new to this but I think Pinky and Poker are cockerels.

7. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would say Porker for sure and Pinky more than likely but the others are pretty pullets!

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Pinky and Poker are roos. I'm looking at comb size, and Pinky's legs look a little on the thick side.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Here's my opinion:

Chick 1: Halloweena Hen

Chick 2: Poker Rooster

Chick 3: Pinky Rooster

Chick 4: Jake Hen

Chick 5: Runner Hen

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Judging by comb size, pullet, cock, cock, pullet, pullet.
    Good luck, they look good so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by