5 week old Roo starting to develop crowing?

NoraV

Hatching
Apr 1, 2020
In the past I have had two roosters raised from a chick. Both of them started crowing a little earlier then most would at around 4 1/2 months. I don't know it is location, flock dynamic, breed or what but they would crow early. Now we have a now almost 6 week old rooster that is making crowing motions and noice is coming out! When my younger brother told me this I could not believe it until I saw it for myself. The little bantam rooster will do the crowing motion and flap his wings, however there is nowhere near a crow coming out more a single tone squeak! Could this be happening? What is everyone's experience with the earliest age a rooster can crow?

Woodchip here is a Belgian D'anver rooster that is about 5 weeks old (almost 6). He was the first to hatch as he hatched a day before everyone else so maybe that has something to do with it. He is showing rooster traits such as protecting the others outside (he always has an eye up), keeping the other and much younger rooster in check, always standing up high, as well as breaking up any and all fight that might break out.

Attachments

• IMG_6289.JPG
    IMG_6289.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 9

AngieDawn

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
I couldn’t believe it either. I asked the same question about my 4 week old a few weeks ago! And yup. He was definitely trying to crow because he’s the only one that’s still doing it and it sounds more and more manly every day. (He’s 7 weeks now)

I figured he would be driving his 4x4 to the local watering hole by 8 weeks.

NoraV

Hatching
Apr 1, 2020
I couldn’t believe it either. I asked the same question about my 4 week old a few weeks ago! And yup. He was definitely trying to crow because he’s the only one that’s still doing it and it sounds more and more manly every day. (He’s 7 weeks now)

I figured he would be driving his 4x4 to the local watering hole by 8 weeks.
Thank you for assuring me I am not crazy lol. He is moving to a friend of mines ranch next weekend so hopefully he can wait until then to fully start haha.

Top Bottom