5 week old Serama cockerels fighting

Sep 5, 2021
My 5 week old Serama cockerels are already fighting. It just seems super early for this kind of behavior, but I’ve never had seramas before. Woke up to distressed chirping and I found the brown and white picking on my boy cricket, he did not look good and his comb was pale so I separated them and he’s looking better now. The brown and white is clearly the instigator and my poor cricket just wants to be left alone. I’ve raised silkies and the 3 cockerel silkies all get along including my silkie rooster Rickie. Is this a normal behavior at 5 weeks? They were hatched the same day and have been together this whole time.

Is one bigger than the other? I know you said they hatched at the same time but size could be a factor. I raise quail as well as chickens and ducks. Recently we had a coturnix quail that hatched only an hour before it's buddies. When the third egg started to unzip and the chick got only it's wing out, the older chick started dragging it around the incubator by the wing. I have seen a lot of poultry bullies. We even have a hen that beats up a rooster twice her size. I would keep them separately.

Is one bigger than the other? I know you said they hatched at the same time but size could be a factor. I raise quail as well as chickens and ducks. Recently we had a coturnix quail that hatched only an hour before it's buddies. When the third egg started to unzip and the chick got only it's wing out, the older chick started dragging it around the incubator by the wing. I have seen a lot of poultry bullies. We even have a hen that beats up a rooster twice her size. I would keep them separately.
They’re pretty much the same size. I put the instigator (now named Demon lol) in “time out” which was a separate cage inside the main cage so they could still see each other. They seem to be doing ok now. We will see how it goes.

Are they doing better now?
Yes! They’re getting a long again so far, demon must’ve been having a bad day and poor cricket was his target. They turned 8 weeks yesterday. Cricket is the most tolerant of my smoothering so I included a pic of him 😇🤣

Attachments

• 1A42B771-5164-4936-9D25-9C6F9597D61F.jpeg
    1A42B771-5164-4936-9D25-9C6F9597D61F.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom