5 week old sexing-Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Easter Egger

Suzyr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Eastern NC
Hi! I have 3 chicks. One Buff Orpington, one Barred Rock and one Easter Egger. They were all supposed to be girls, but I have learned from reading many other posts that thats not how it turns out. I am 99.9% positive my BO is a boy, which makes me sad because he is the sweetest out of all three and I won't be able to keep him. Any guesses on the other chicks? Im hoping the other two are girls, but Im not positive about it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! I have 3 chicks. One Buff Orpington, one Barred Rock and one Easter Egger. They were all supposed to be girls, but I have learned from reading many other posts that thats not how it turns out. I am 99.9% positive my BO is a boy, which makes me sad because he is the sweetest out of all three and I won't be able to keep him. Any guesses on the other chicks? Im hoping the other two are girls, but Im not positive about it. Thanks!
Hello and welcome to BYC! I'm sorry to say but you are correct, he is a boy. It looks right now that the other to are female, so I think at least there your good.

That little boy isn't shy about saying he's male, is he? Orpingtons don't always let you know so early. The other two do look to be female. I'd start trying to find a new home for him soon, and get another pullet if you want a third. Easier to get them to get along younger rather than older.

Thanks! Im slightly suspicious of the Barred Rock too, the comb is turning light pink…and not staying yellow, like I read it was supposed too for pullets.

I think based on feathering it is still a girl, nice all over pattern vs. the patchy color seen in EE roos. EE's can be tricky, but it looks pullet to me. She is very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom