5 week old with a hurt leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Oct 14, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a 5 week old blue andalusian and I noticed this morning she couldn't move around the brooder too well. She was standing on one foot, holding the other up. She would put her wing down over it when I got close. I quarantined her from the others and she is just sitting in a box by herself. I don't think it's a broken leg, but it's obviously hurt. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to let it heal on it's own?

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    The best thing you can do is just keep her separated for a couple days and dont allow her to "perch" basically. She could aggravate it by hopping down off the perch. She'll probably recover pretty fast if you do that.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

Keep the chick in a small space so that it has limited movement so the leg can rest. Keep the water and food at an easy height to get at. Keep him/her confined until it heals, which may be a week or two, depending on how badly it is injured. If it is not broken, it will most likely heal. Good luck!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, to keep him/her company, put a small stuffed animal or a feather duster in with the chick so it is not too lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by