1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 week old with pecked vent i think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christina09, Jul 19, 2011.

1. christina09

christina09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    Ok so i posted before i thought it was stuck and pecked at, after doing research and looking at picture I think they pecked its vent, it is going on day three, gave her egg, yogurt, apples, sweet potatoe, of course her chick feed and molasses water, i have been running bumm in warm water for a few minutes a few times daily, also a gentle massage before i thought it could be a pecked vent. I also have tried neosporin. she is eating drinking, acting ok, but lots odf feathers gone off bumm and it looks healed pretty good, does she need more? can she go back with others? suggestions please? I have had help at my other post help emergency chick stuck.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is eating well and defecating on her own, it may be OK to return her to the others. If you do so monitor closely to assure that she is not reinjured.

3. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    thanks i think i will try

4. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    So i took her out last night, they were try to peck at her then stopped because they were hunkering down for night. this morning i went out early, they were awake but she wasnt coming out much, and i seen one trying to peck the white stuff on her bumm, which i am assuming is either pasting butt or from her injury. so brought her back in so i can clean the bumm, and then we will see, she is not liking be ing away from them. i think i will try nights out for companionship and days in. any thoughts on any of this?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if a gradual reintroduction until she is completely healed is the way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by