5 week olds first night in the coop.

I'd err on the side of being conservative. When I turned the light off for the first time with my last batch, they piled up and smothered the ones on the bottom.

I just put my 9 week old, one 3 wk and two 4 week olds outside today, permanent move to the coop. I love them dearly, but their messes have gotten ridiculous. They enjoyed their day scratching and hunting bugs- and went into their coop on their own.

I put the ceramic heat emitter out there, though. It will get down to the 40s here tonight, and the youngest arent fully feathered. They will be warm and the coop is roomier than their pen has been. I am sure they are going to be fine-but I do worry about them. My husband told me I should get a baby monitor out there so I can listen to them.

I will go check on them one more time before I call it a night- but it sure is hard to put them outside, isn't it?

Quote:
Ain't that the truth! Mine are 8 and 10 weeks old and I still check on them before I go to bed.
roll.png

Mine are 9 weeks old and still inside. LOL

They go outside in their tractor when the weather is nice but they are inside at bedtime (dusk)

I put Chick-Chick outside at 4 weeks b/c she was just TOO big to be indoors in that brooder of hers.
sad.png
I felt like I was abandoning her...even though there was more room, it felt so empty!

It helps to see how happy, active, and relaxed she is outside though.

I had originally planned to move my chicks out to the coop at 2 weeks old. The weather is warmer and they would be closed up with a heat lamp on for them but..... I'm not sure I can do it. I've only had them right at a week, and I can't imagine not being able to check on them every few minutes. I'm just not ready for an "empty nest"
smile.png
Still, it won't be long before they are too big for their brooder. I'm already stressing about moving them out of the house!

All About the Egg - how did they do last night?

Penny

Back
Top Bottom