5 week olds' First Night Outside

hollyinpa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Our 5 week old chicks have grown accustomed to staying outdoors in their little outdoor run/coop during the daytime hours, all day.

We've been bringing them in at night up to this point. We have brought them in initially because it got cooler at night. That's not the case anymore.

It's warm enough now. We've got a rubbermaid filled with pine shavings (tipped on its side) in the run and we also have a darker/more protected area up on the ladder/roost for them.

As dusk approaches they basically become frantic and start peeping. They huddle together near the corner closest to the "opening/gate" of the run. They don't even consider the "safer" spots we have created in the coop/run.

Their peeps of fear make it hard to leave them out there, but we are determined to let them stay out tonight. It's warm enough. The coop/run is safe enough (I hope!).

I'll report back in the morning...who wants to take bets on how much sleep I actually get tonight?
wink.png

Tough love... LOL
lol.png

They will be ok...

When I first put mine out I could here the little peeps peeping in my head at night... But all will be well soon...

Thanks for the words of support.

The chicks are quiet and huddled in the corner together now.

I will check on them one more time before bed. It's funny...I sneak out there, with a head lamp on, trying not to wake them...I am sure I look like a goof ball to my neibhors.
roll.png

The first night out is always the hardest. They will be just fine! Make sure you lock them up tight inside of the coop and all will be well. Hang in there!
smile.png

my chicks and ducks are 5 weeks old too!!! they are spending the night in the tractor with a cat carrier if they need enclosure... i hope they can stay warm enough!!!!

I think ours will be warm enough. I wish they'd go to a more "protected" area of the coop/run though.

Our 4 x 6 coop is scheduled to arrive next Thursday and we'll be building a large run/enclosure this weekend in preparation for the arrival of the proper coop. When that arrives I think we'll have them locked up in the coop at night to get them used to the surroundings. The coop has two large windows on the front so I think they'll have enough light as dusk settles in...

Again - thanks for all of your kind words. I think the girls will be fine tonight...:|

Just let the dogs out to go "potty" and I peeked in on the chicks....still huddled together near the corner of the coop. The temps are supposed to dip down to 64 tonight...the chicks are fully feathered. This is warm enough for them isn't it?

Next week's lows will be down to the upper 50s. What's a chick mama to do with her chicks? The sturdier, better protected, warmer coop doesn't arrive until next Thursday.

Quote:
Ok so you are not going to get any sleep.. I did the same thing... I think I even got up and went and checked on them at 3:30 in the morning with a flashlight.

Mine were in a rubbermaid container too... LOL but I put it in their coop.. they are so cute they will be 6 weeks old on friday. They all still huddle together and sleep in a big pile of feathers in the rubbermaid on its side.. it is so funny they all fit inside it and now they are getting so big they cant all fit any more. But I put it in their coop because it was famiular to them. I havent even put roosts up in their coop because they just love sleeping together..

The first night I had to put them in their coop to get them to go in at night they then got it..

I actually slept better than I thought.

All chicks survived the night unscatched and are happily, busily munching grass/clover bright and early this AM. Gladys, my 3 year old barred rock hen, is not happy about waking up to see them (albeit in a coop) in HER yard so early in the AM.

I feel better about having the babies out full-time now...thanks for all the support.

Back
Top Bottom