5 week olds....girls or boys? update!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kokotg, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kokotg

kokotg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    Okay, this is my first post (though I've been lurking for awhile)...so hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for an hour and getting more and more confused and paranoid. I have five 5 1/2 week old chicks...all were sexed at the hatchery and are supposed to be pullets, but there are a couple I'm worried (paranoid?) about. There's also a barred rock that I didn't get a good picture of, but she's the girliest looking one of the bunch, so I'm not worried about her. Would you guys mind taking a look and telling me what you think? Thanks!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/2257234862/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I haven't look at the photos yet, but I will. The hatchery sexing is only a 90% gaurantee. They don't make a 100% promise that you will only get pullets.

With that said I'll look at your photos as soon as my son goes down for a nap.

3. kokotg

Feb 11, 2008
    yeah, but I'm still hoping! My husband is a math teacher and actually sat down and figured out the probability of us getting all pullets. I can't remember what it was, but it was over 50%, so that's something at least.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm not that sure about BobbiAnn and Zora. At that age, there should probably be no pink in the combs. I had a missexed Lt. Brahma from Ideal. He was a real sweetie, but I decided to sell him since I had no plans for a Brahma rooster.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I was thinking the same thing.

6. kokotg

Feb 11, 2008
    thanks! those are the two I was most suspicious of...at first I was worried about Super, because her comb is so much more prominent than any of the others, but it's still very pale (and they're all different breeds, so it's hard to compare them). We can't keep any roosters, as the neighbors are too close, and I'll be pretty sad if I have to get rid of any of them. But if any do have to go, I'm just hoping it's not Super--she officially belongs to my 4 year old (hence the name) and she and the Buff Orpington are by far the friendliest of the bunch. Should I be worried about Super's comb, do you think?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree there... a bit worried about the pink, but they don't scream rooster yet... but may in a few more weeks.

The white one, super(?), looks like a female leghorn, and if she is a leghorn, I highly doubt that is a rooster as leghorn roo's get bright pink combs at like 3 weeks.

8. kokotg

Feb 11, 2008
    She is a leghorn. Thanks--that's great to hear. We all love Super around here.

BTW, I don't know how much this matters, but Bobbie Ann is also HUGE. She's an Ameraucana from Ideal, and they list the adult weight for hens as only 4 1/2 pounds, but she's a tad bigger than the Buff Orpington.

9. kokotg

Feb 11, 2008
    Just an update for anyone playing along...Bobbie Ann is just a Bobbie [​IMG]

First he looked like this:

[​IMG]

...and then, a couple of days ago, he started crowing. I put an ad on craigslist and yesterday we took him over to his new home, on lots of land with a lonely hen who needed a boyfriend. All the others seem to be staying girls at least. We're down to 4 (started with 6--one died the second night here)...but at least that gives me an excuse to add a few more in before too long [​IMG]

10. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I have a light Brahma too and boy she looks alot like Bobbie Ann. I also have a pullet that looks an awful lot like Zora. What happened with her?

What do you think about my girls [​IMG]
    Mine are almost 7 weeks

Bess
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eudora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by