5 week SLW and BLRW - Pullets/Roos, B/B/S? - updated with 9 week pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fanny, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Fanny

Fanny In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Manitoba, Canada
    Hello All,

I have some 5 week old Wyandottes, 2 are SLW and 2 are BLRW. I'm thinking both the SLW are males and both the BLRW are females, but maybe it's too early to tell? I'd love to hear from the experts. I'm also curious if the BLRW are Black/Blue or Splash.

I can take better pictures if it would help (though the rest of the household isn't thrilled by having chicks on the dining room table!).

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

SLW #1 (rooster?)

[​IMG]

SLW #2 (rooster?)

[​IMG]

BLRW #1 (blue pullet?)

[​IMG]

BLRW #2 (splash pullet?)

------------------------------------------

and here they are at 11 weeks... EDIT - whoops, got my calendar wrong, 9 weeks!

SLW #1

[​IMG]

SLW #2

[​IMG]

BLRW #1

[​IMG]

BLRW #2

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    They all look like roos to me![​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think the 2 SLWs are roos, while the first BLRW is a pullet. I can't really tell much on the second BLRW.

4. tazzy

tazzy Songster

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    hey...check out my most recent thread on this very subject. I was SURE that one of my SLW's was a boy, even up to the current 18-19 weeks old. The bird looked very roo-like compared to my other SLW's with a much bigger wattle and comb. But then the same bird went into a nest box this week and laid an egg! So...you just never know!

5. Fanny

Fanny In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks Tazzy! I just read your post - looks like I have a couple of months to go before I'll know for sure!

6. Fanny

Fanny In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Manitoba, Canada
    A month down the road, and I've added some new photos - would love to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks!

7. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I think your BLRW #1 is a Roo. The #2 BLRW looks like a pullet to me.

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I think you are right about the SLW's. The feathers are just making me think that.

*disclaimer* My three SLW 'roos' are now laying eggs! [​IMG] I was going by their early development of a comb & redness, but their bodies all looked the same.

9. Fanny

Fanny In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Manitoba, Canada
    Oh dear - I didn't count my weeks properly... they are 9 weeks old now, not 11!

I really go back and forth on the SLW... but I'll only be able to hold onto one of the birds (3 will be going to a friend), and I quite like BLRW #1 and am really hoping she's a girl. BLRW #2 would probably be the safest bet though. I can hold on to all of them for a couple of more weeks, so I'm hoping to have a good idea by that time... and am looking for the opinions of others!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The 2 SLWs are roos. The first BLRW looks more like pullet body wise, but roo by the comb. None of my BLRW pullets have ever had that much red at 9 weeks. I'd say from what I can see #2 BLRW is probably a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: