(5 weeks) Light Brahma girl/boy? *BETTER PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my4ladies, Aug 6, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I apologize for not having better pics, but he/she is very skittish and kept hiding. Can you tell by just it's combs/wattles...or at least give me a better idea of the gender? The others' combs don't look so red, but they're different breeds.

Edited to add this is a bantam.

[​IMG][​IMG]

NEW PICS:
    I realize now, after the first few pics I took, that they were washed out looking b/c someone put their grubby little finger prints on the lens [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, this is a bantam and only 5 weeks old. And another question: Is that normal to have missing feathers like that around their crop? I thought it was just that the feathers hadn't grown in yet, but I don't see it on other pics of young birds.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm no expert but I would guess Roo just based on what my pullet looked like when it was younger...

3. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's hard to see, but I'd say roo from what's visible of the comb...

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think roo based on what I can see and that it is a bantam (body size vs comb size), But I am no expert on light brahma.

5. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    Thank you. I forgot to add to that this one is always going after the others by jumping at them with it's feet. I thought it was just playing, but this one is the only one that does it. It's personality is also far different than the others....and I thought this was supposed to be a more friendly breed. They've all been handled the same [​IMG]

I can't keep a rooster, so I guess Charlotte will be re-named Charlie and found a new home for. Doesn't bother me any....now I get a new chicken....a less skittish one!

6. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    ugh...i just realized the pics aren't that much better. The one you can see a closer view of it's comb. And it is def. red.

7. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    definitely a roo. [​IMG] he has a big red comb for his age and he just has that roo like stance. about the feathers, i've noticed that my roo chicks usually have really sparce feathering compared to the pullets. they usually go through a phase where they look half bald [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's a cockerel and I'm not basing that solely on the comb. The naked back gives it away. Brahmas are one of the many breeds where the males feather out much slower than the females.

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

B O Y all the way.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You have yourself a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by