5 weeks old Golden Laced Wyandottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snarkers, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Snarkers

Snarkers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    New member. I have been lurking for about 2 years now reading forums and articles as I developed my chicken hobby. But tonight, I found a reason to post. These were sold as pullets, and I have been suspecting I had one of each for about 2 days now. What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

• GLW.jpg
      GLW.jpg
      File size:
      446.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Could we get a closer pic of the comb?
    I'm thinking best to wait another couple of weeks, feathering don't look to be any males, at this point.

3. Snarkers

Snarkers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    Oh good, that makes me feel much better. They looked so different I was worried.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I breed Wyandotte and would not sell until 6 weeks of age as sexing before that time is generally a guess. At 6 weeks the combs redden up and the wattles begin to drop. Pullets combs will remain a flesh tone up until they coming up to point of lay.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. Snarkers

Snarkers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    The redding of the comb a few weeks ago and the two looking so different is what made me think one of each. So I am super glad to hear the colouring doesn’t look cockerel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    chrissynemetz and N ID Goose mom like this.
  6. N ID Goose mom

N ID Goose mom Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    North Idaho
    Thank you Fancychooklady for the comb advice. I ordered three gold and three silver and they are coming next week. Their supposed to all be girls and hopefully no surprises. I didn’t know about the comb colors.

drumstick diva and Snarkers like this.
  7. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    It really does look like a pair to me. :oops: I will agree though that you should post more pictures in a couple of weeks. :)

Snarkers likes this.
  8. Thatothercrazychickenlady

Thatothercrazychickenlady Chirping

Jun 1, 2018
    Canada
    To me that looks like a probable cockerel. That’s a pretty red comb and wattles but that’s not always the best way to tell. The colour though I’ve found most of the time the males get the big red/silver shoulders and the black ring around their neck. Looks like it’ll have really nice lacing though. I’d still give it a few weeks to be certain.

ChickNanny13 and Snarkers like this.
  9. Snarkers

Snarkers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    That should actually read 2 days, not 2 weeks that I have suspected this was a cockerel. These two are with a SLW and a barnevelder chick of the same age, and 3 easter eggers that are 2 weeks younger. Last night as I was moving them in from outside, the two glw just happened to be the last two in the container. The one had sort of stood out 2 days ago, but they all pile onto of each other when I come near so its just a bunch of heads stinking out and you really can't be certain of anything. I have a 2 year old slw that has the block of colour and then just a black v on the tip of the feathers along the chest so I know this one could also be a poorly lacing pullet. But not sure, leaning more towards a pair more then anythin

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  10. Snarkers

Snarkers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    The pullet trio.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: