1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 weeks old - lots of pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I've been posting their photos each week (oops, missed their four week photo), so here they are at 5 weeks exactly:

All of them in their new coop:

[​IMG]

RIR:

[​IMG]

Another RIR:

[​IMG]

Golden Laced Wyandotte "On The Move":

[​IMG]

Another shot of a Golden Laced Wyandotte:

[​IMG]

I've got a few of the Ameraucunas, the first one is my scaredy-cat I named Henny Penny (the sky is falling!):

[​IMG]

Here is another:

[​IMG]

And somehow I caught all three of them in one frame:

[​IMG]

Here is my Buff Orpington roo [​IMG] I hate having to give him up! But I can't have a rooster in consideration of my neighbors:

[​IMG]

One of the Buff Orpington girls:

[​IMG]

And last but not least, a Barred Rock saying "Who, me??!?":

[​IMG]

They're all getting so big so fast!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Very nice birds. Mr. Orp is a handsome guy, too bad you can't keep him. I love those RIR chicks, they are sooo cute, and the color!!!

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Are those wyondottes both roosters too?

4. Reinbeau

Quote:OMG Don't tell me that! No one has pointed that out to me, someone did notice the Buff Orp. Oh, that'll be so awful. I hope not! [​IMG]

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    This is mine at 4 1/2 weeks old.........I might be wrong.... [​IMG] not as pink in the comb it seems

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] They are all adorable. [​IMG]

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I hope i am wrong. I have some others i think are boys that look a bit quicker to redden up and start waddles. I keep hoping that some just develop faster than others [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. Reinbeau

Well, all three GLW have reddened up just during the past few days. If two are roos then all three are. What are the odds? Eh, with my luck.....[​IMG]

9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:No dont trust me, thats why i showed you mine. Did you order girls, or was it take what you get?
    If you ordered girls, i doubt you would get all boys. I could easily be wrong........ i was just asking because i am comparing to my others that i suspect are boys. I am not credible on this breed [​IMG]

10. Reinbeau

They were supposed to be all girls, but as they told me, the success rate for vent sexing day old chicks is around 85-90%. I was hoping to get all laying hens, but thems the breaks, I guess! Hopefully someone will wade in and tell us we're safe.....anyone??!?

Edited to add: Lurky, I'm afraid you're right. I checked them again this morning and one isn't showing any red - the other two are. I've posted another thread asking for more expert opinions. Darnit.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by