5 Weeks olds health issues ?

Onceaoutlaw

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Georgia
My chicks are growing and acting like chickens. They all look very healthy and seem to all hold their own,
My question is what should I be looking out for health wise? I started fermenting my feed when they were a couple weeks old.
They love the stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty soon they will lose their fuzzy down and get small feathers. You'll see lots of fuzzy stuff around. Have you given them any grit? I give mine "chick" grit to get their crops ready for other foods. Also it helps make them friendlier if you can feed or scrambled egg bits from your hand and talk to them at same time. It helps when you need to handle them to inspect for bugs, health issues, etc. Enjoy them !

Pretty soon they will lose their fuzzy down and get small feathers. You'll see lots of fuzzy stuff around. Have you given them any grit? I give mine "chick" grit to get their crops ready for other foods. Also it helps make them friendlier if you can feed or scrambled egg bits from your hand and talk to them at same time. It helps when you need to handle them to inspect for bugs, health issues, etc. Enjoy them !
Yes I’ve been feeding them grit since 2 weeks. Let have been in the run since 2 weeks. They love fermented food. I feed them both dry and wet. A few eat worms out of my hand. It’s just a matter of a few days before I’ll be able to hold them.

Sounds good to me. They've been on the ground for three weeks so if your soil has any bugs that cause Coccidiosis they have developed immunity by now. That's the only thing I do, expose them to the soil and environment they will be living in at a very early age to strengthen their immune system. To me that's the best way to prepare them to be healthy.

At five weeks old you do the same things you do at any other age. Regularly check them for mites and lice. If you see unusual poop check it out, maybe by posting a photo on the forum. Usually it is nothing but we are not offended by photos and discussions of poop. Watch how they act. If they are eating, drinking, and are active they are generally fine. If they are lethargic, stand around puffed up and not moving you may have a problem.

If you see something that concerns you talk to us about it. Often it is nothing but sometimes it is. Don't waste your time worrying about it, let's find out.

Sounds good to me. They've been on the ground for three weeks so if your soil has any bugs that cause Coccidiosis they have developed immunity by now. That's the only thing I do, expose them to the soil and environment they will be living in at a very early age to strengthen their immune system. To me that's the best way to prepare them to be healthy.

At five weeks old you do the same things you do at any other age. Regularly check them for mites and lice. If you see unusual poop check it out, maybe by posting a photo on the forum. Usually it is nothing but we are not offended by photos and discussions of poop. Watch how they act. If they are eating, drinking, and are active they are generally fine. If they are lethargic, stand around puffed up and not moving you may have a problem.

If you see something that concerns you talk to us about it. Often it is nothing but sometimes it is. Don't waste your time worrying about it, let's find out.
Sound advice Thank you

Back
Top Bottom