5 weeks still too early to identify a Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelloggKid, May 8, 2011.

1. KelloggKid

KelloggKid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    I've been blogging each week with photos of my 7 chicks as they grow so I can see the weekly differences. The chicks are now 5+ weeks old and I thought I had 5 hens & 2 roos however my absolute safest bet for a hen seems to be growing some spurs. They are still small but I'm wondering if hens have small spurs. All the chicks seem to have a small bump on their legs.
    http://backyardchickenfever.blogspot.com/2011/05/just-when-you-got-it-all-figured-out.html

At what age can I expect those spurs to really begin to get obvious?

Thanks!

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    As far as I know, all chickens get the little spur buds. Occassionally hens will get spurs, but not often. You have a very colorful bunch of chickens. I do not have any guesses to genders however!

[​IMG]

Apparently spurs don't really start until they are about 8 months old. You should know before then if they are hens/roosters.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roosters won't have actual spurs till they are well over six months old and usually closer to a year.

4. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I just posted the same ?.. I ordered 18 females from a good hatchery and after reading this I went and checked mine and I'll be! Most of mine have this little bump on the back of the legs too....I better not have 18 Roo's...I need to get more info on this to make sure ....Anyone with pic's of these bumps they can share ?Thanks.

5. speckledhen

BOTH sexes have those bumps, trust me.

6. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    O thank god!!! thanks specklehen..I pert near pooped my self when I saw the bumps...

7. speckledhen

Quote:[​IMG]

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:all chickens have the bumps, kind of like men have nipples. don't need them, cant use them, but their there...
    I know what you mean about guessing sexes.. i have a dark Brahma.. ( love ) and she was a Latifa now is most defenitly Lafiat.. and he is getting to be georgeous. they are not quite 2 months old and they are still changing daily. also I had Joan Jet the barred Rock(er) well she has turned into Jet Lee. hahah I tell ya they change so often and so fast I cant wait till their all a yr old to see what they will finally look like.
    I have 3 dark Brahma's 1 roo- 2 pullets, 3 barred rocks 1 roo 2 pullets. 2 wht leghorn pullets, 2 golden comets fingers x'd pullets , 4 EE's 1 roo and 3 pullets, 1 so ugly hes cute wht crested polish- no idea of sex yet. he looks like a pure wht road runner. ( Mee-Beep) and 6 couldn't help myself unknown sexes of silver laced wayndottes. ahhhh Ive gone chicken crazy.. but they are soo much fun..
    blessed be and good luck
    )O(
    Pink

9. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can tell a rooster at one day old.

10. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Quote:Do tell! How?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by