5 Wk Old Aracucanas...Roos or Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by For The Love of Peeps, Jul 3, 2011.

1. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Hi All,

Can you tell if these are Roos or Pullets? [​IMG] They are about 5 weeks old. The hatchery where I bought the said they are pullets. (I don't know if this is a close enough pic)

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    We need much close pics, of full body, head, and back. Look at some other threads in here for some idea of what pictures to take.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    They are not Araucanas, they are Easter Eggers.
    Hatcheries sell Araucanas and Ameraucanas in name only. They are only Easter Eggers. Araucanas are tufted and tail less. Ameraucanas are specific colors.

Beautiful chicks but need closer comb photos to tell you.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. For The Love of Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Ok, Thank you both. What's the difference between "Easter Eggers & "Araucanas"?

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  6. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Quote:They aren't only EEs, which seems to imply they are lesser than Ameraucanas. In fact, EEs were used to CREATE the Ameraucana "breed", and not vice versa. If people are going to refer to EEs as mutts, then those same people need to acknowledge that the Ameraucana is a breed created from mutts! [​IMG] In my experience, EEs lay bigger eggs, and lay better (more often, and usually through the winter), than Ameraucanas. In fact, many of my EEs lay eggs that are just as blue as an Ameraucana. Moreover, there are some "purebred" Ameraucanas who don't even lay blue eggs, but instead lay white or brown...there is mention of one such Ameraucana show bird on the Ameraucana website forum! Plus, the egg color chart used by the Ameraucana breed association has shades of distinct green on it, which tells me that greenish eggs are not all that uncommon for Ameraucanas! Indeed, I've seen plenty of photos of green or blue-green Ameraucana eggs, virtually indistinguishable from an EE egg.

You have some very, very attractive EEs, and EEs are terrific birds! I absolutely boil when I read comments that make EE owners feel let down by owning an EE or that demean EEs in general. If you post up-close, clear photos of your birds' combs straight on , I'd be happy to try to help you with gender identification. Again, you have some lovely colored EEs! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    All I can say is that full body, side and front, close up pics are needed, please.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    No one implied that EEs were lesser than Ameraucanas. You took the comment way too personally. It was meant that a hatchery should state Easter Egger instead of Araucana/Ameraucana when they are neither.
    EEs are just mixed colors with Ameraucana characteristics. They are a great bird but are not showable so they just get the name EE. If the name Easter Egger offends someone then that is sad. It is a great name for a pretty type of bird.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:They aren't only EEs, which seems to imply they are lesser than Ameraucanas. In fact, EEs were used to CREATE the Ameraucana "breed", and not vice versa. If people are going to refer to EEs as mutts, then those same people need to acknowledge that the Ameraucana is a breed created from mutts! [​IMG] In my experience, EEs lay bigger eggs, and lay better (more often, and usually through the winter), than Ameraucanas. In fact, many of my EEs lay eggs that are just as blue as an Ameraucana. Moreover, there are some "purebred" Ameraucanas who don't even lay blue eggs, but instead lay white or brown...there is mention of one such Ameraucana show bird on the Ameraucana website forum! Plus, the egg color chart used by the Ameraucana breed association has shades of distinct green on it, which tells me that greenish eggs are not all that uncommon for Ameraucanas! Indeed, I've seen plenty of photos of green or blue-green Ameraucana eggs, virtually indistinguishable from an EE egg.

You have some very, very attractive EEs, and EEs are terrific birds! I absolutely boil when I read comments that make EE owners feel let down by owning an EE or that demean EEs in general. If you post up-close, clear photos of your birds' combs straight on , I'd be happy to try to help you with gender identification. Again, you have some lovely colored EEs! [​IMG]

Please source your information, I've never read or heard this before?

10. For The Love of Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Again...Thanks Everyone... .For Your Input. They Are Very Pretty! I Will Take Closer Pics and Post Them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by