5 wk old chick w/ swollen,crusty feet & resp. issues PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leslie22, Apr 20, 2012.

1. leslie22

leslie22 New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    near Peoria, IL
    My previously heathly Buckeye chick developed swollen thick legs and feet with growths on them. If I rub the growths they will sometimes bleed. Several days after her feet started looking like this, she then developed respiratory issues-- heavy breathing, head shaking, bubbling eyes... She deteriorated rapidly through[​IMG]
    out the day and I thought she'd be dead in an hour. By morning she looked slightly better and by that evening she was almost back to normal. Now she seems fine other than her feet still looking thick. The growths are not gone but seem less "angry" looking. She has been separated from the rest of my chicks for 3 days and am wondering 1) what the heck she has and 2) when I can put her back in with the others. None of my other chicks have any symptoms (yet!). I was told this might be pox but the pictures I have found do not match at all. She has no markings/growths anywhere other than her feet. The growths on her feet are more like thick scaly patches- Not bumps. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

2. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Scaly leg mites????

3. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Try Vaseline on the feet and legs. Or DE food grade dust the legs it kills mites.

4. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I was told Seven Dust (found in the gardening section of most stores this time of year) works really well for scaly leg mites. Actually need to go get some myself tomorrow morning. At least 3 of the 7 chickens I brought home last night have moderate to severe cases...and the lady I got them from tried to tell me they couldn't have them cuz she had just treated for them...duh, look, you can see they do...I didn't argue, just gonna treat everyone & both coops tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by