5 wk old EE and SS -- can you sex us based on feather patterns? (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SmittenChicken, Oct 13, 2012.

1. EE=pullet; SS=cockerel

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. SS=pullet; EE=cockerel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both pullets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Both cockerels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi all, I have two chicks that my Black Star hen hatched out on 9/8 (5 weeks old today). I know it's still very early, but I'd love to get some feedback from all of you experts. I have my suspicions based on what I've read, but I'm still a relative newbie and the feathering pattern on the EE has me a bit puzzled. Behavior-wise, they're both quite tame and curious around me (though I think this has a lot to do with their mother, who is super friendly and leads them right over to me whenever I walk outside.)

Please weigh in with your expertise (or just your best guess), and I promise to keep updating with pictures until we know for sure!

[​IMG]
    Speckled Sussex (5 weeks) -- from what I've read the white chest is a bad sign, is there any hope for this little one?

[​IMG]
    Comb shot -- EE (5 weeks) Edit: there are 3 very small rows visible, the middle row is slightly more prominent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Both chicks feathered out quickly and developed very straight, prominent tails right away.

[​IMG]
    Chest shot -- SS (left) feathered out pure white, and is now getting some brown flecks. EE's chest feathered out in a salmon/orange color, head appears to be feathering out the same.

[​IMG]
    The EE developed some orange feathers on the wing that are now appearing all over the body, they're more of a salmon color than a brick red so I'm hoping this is a pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The EE's body shape, tail, and posture remind me a lot of the other EE hens I've had, but I'm just not sure about those orange spots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison, this is the two of them on day 17. At that point someone told me the well-defined blaze on the EE's head was common in female chicks. You can't see it here, but the SS also had a very dark, well-defined blaze (but I think that's the case for both male and female SS.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the ss is looking like a male. the ee looks like a pullet for the moment, but I'd watch it

3. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks so much for taking a look, I sure hope this little EE turns out to be a pullet!
    I'm still hoping the SS is just a tomboy, but if not that's just another excuse to hatch some more chicks in the spring. Hopefully our mother hen will be in the same mindset. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, both cockerels.

The comb shot on the EE seals it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by