5 wk old pullets - Please give your expertise in identifying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickBond 007, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Would you help me identify a few of my 5-week old pullets from McMurray?

See this sweet little hen? She came with my "meat and egg combo" from McMurray. Is she a cochin? an EE? what? She is inquisitive and has a nice disposition.

[​IMG]

How about this one. She's a lovely ruby red color so is she a RIR or is she a Red Star pullet/production red? She has some wing color other than red.
    [​IMG]

How about this one... she's a feather footed cochin (right???)
    [​IMG]

This one has green legs, a pretty red cape coming in, and a black spot on the beak. What is she?
    [​IMG]

And I think I was naive thinking that McMurray sent me another hen just in case. Is this barred rock a roo???
    [​IMG]

I got a nice mixture in my opinion. Not pictured are 2 blue andulians, one buff orp, one golden comet as well.

2. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Gold Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red, Partridge Cochin, Easter Egger are my guesses.

3. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Oh, almost forgot...... last but not least, Barred Rock roo

I'm curious to see what others think.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think zippy got it [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree except I wonder if the first one might be a dark cornish. The legs don't look very thick, but they seem more bright yellow than most wyandottes.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    #1 - I was also thinking dark cornish when I saw those bright yellow legs, but it also looks similar to my barnevelders. What type of comb does it have? Gold laced wyandottes, dark cornish, & barnevelders all have different types of combs.

#2 - production red (hatchery RIR) - looks exactly like mine did

#3 - ? (I've never had any feather footed chickens)

#4 - maybe an EE, but not positive (I don't see any muffs/beards, but it does have green legs and looks like it has a pea comb?

7. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I think I have a wait a week or two for combs. Other than the ROO (that I in denial of her sexuality), there are very few combs in that brooder right now. She has very golden yellow legs.
    It would be awesome if she were a Barnevelder, but I'm guessing McMurray doesn't throw those in if they get a choice. I bought "meat-n-egg combo" for $50.50 and got 16 cornish x's and 10 hens and one packing peanut roo evidently. They pick the hens breed.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:If you don't see its comb, then it's not a barnevelder. A straight comb should be visible by now, even it its a pullelt - the pea combs & rose combs are flat.

I forgot to add earlier that I agree with Zippy about the barred rock - definitely a roo.

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:Thats exactly what I was thinking!! Drk Cornish.[​IMG]

10. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    So the green legged one is likely an EE? Are green legs and pea comb the tell tale sign of EE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by