5 wk old RIR dust bathes in shavings!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChIcKeN_DiNnErS, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ChIcKeN_DiNnErS

ChIcKeN_DiNnErS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Just witness my 5 week old RIR dust bathing in the shavings a few days ago, it was absolutely THE most cutest thing and funniest, I have seen my chicks do thus far!![​IMG] [​IMG] Here is are two pics of the cuteness:
    [​IMG]
    This is my RIR having a dust bath and thoroughly enjoying it! My smallest BO and BBR are just there to watch and pluck all the shavings off it's back.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is again sitting up from bathing and letting the two "clean" it off. These three are the sweeeetest of my five chicks!

The RIR is the only one doing it as of yet, it is my favorite. (I say "It" because I am not so certain it is a pullet yet, I've read that hens can have dominant personalities. I can't tell by their legs either because they are bigger than my other chicks except for my biggest BO and they both seem to have thick legs.) I have been sitting another RIR for my landlord (got them at the same time), which looks quite different from my RIR. We got them at the same place, so I am wondering about them. His RIR is lighter than mine, has fewer feathers, and has white in the feathers, it is also not as big as mine. Not sure but I think that one or the other may be a roo. I would love to have a roo! [​IMG] Take a look at these pics and maybe someone can give a guess.

[​IMG]
    This is my landlord's RIR. Notice the lighter colored beak compared to mine?
    [​IMG]
    This is my RIR, see the major differences between the two? Look how tall and proud it is! This one is always on the look out and is very inquisitive. You can't see the comb too clearly in this picture, but it is there. My biggest BO is perching next to it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a frontal face shot! For some reason, these pictures make my RIR look a lot skinnier than it really is, not sure why.[​IMG] It really looks big in real life.

Well let me know what ya'll think!
    [​IMG]
    And a side face shot!

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    LOL I have 4 RIR and it's like they are doing it in sync. The NHR's don't seem to do it as much. It's fun to watch and see shavings fly untill I have to change the water

3. ChIcKeN_DiNnErS

ChIcKeN_DiNnErS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG] Yes, I agree it is fun to watch until the waterer get's stuffed! Can't wait to see them all do it though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by