5 wk old RIR's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DaddyChicken, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    I posted two pictures last week but the chicks have changed so much I thought I would post new ones. So, pullet or roo, your opinions are appreciated.

#1 Sarahe
    [​IMG]

#2 Meisje
    [​IMG]

#3 Dora
    [​IMG]

#4 La-La
    [​IMG]

#5 Pat?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They are just adorable! [​IMG] They sure do grow very fast. As to whether a pullet or roo, I can't help you there.

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I see all pullets except for pat

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's too soon to tell, but my guess would be 1 and 5 are roo's.

5. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:X2!!!

6. DaddyChicken

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Quote:Do you mean one out of the five is possibly a roo?...I hope that's what you mean. And, would that be #5 Pat? I do undersand that it is too early to be for sure.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Do you mean one out of the five is possibly a roo?...I hope that's what you mean. And, would that be #5 Pat? I do undersand that it is too early to be for sure.

No, I think Sarahe and Pat are both roo's. This is just a guess. Wait a few weeks and you should know.

8. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I'd say keep your eye on the middle three yet, but I do think #1 and #5 are roos.

9. DaddyChicken

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Thanks for the guesses. Yes, I can see roo characteristics in Sarahe and Pat. Since I took a closer look their waddles are really starting to show. It would be terrible if they all turned out to be roo's.

Well, since it looks like I have at least one roo, I have a question about eggs and please remember that I am new to raising chickens. If the roo has sex with the hen, the eggs will be fertile, right? but, how many eggs will be fertile after each encounter between the hen and roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by