1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 wk old Silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mygirlScout, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I have 2, 5 week old silkies. One of them is a lot bigger and has a comb with red/pink tips, the other has nothing and is smaller. How can I tell if it is a roo? (other than waiting for a crow or egg) It also bumps my husband's hand with it's chest whenever my husband puts his hand in the brooder. Do female silkies get combs like that?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering if you got an answer to this question yet?

My experience with silkies is very limited (my first two are just nine weeks old). I do know that it is usually extremely difficult to sex silkies until they either lay an egg or crow (as you mentioned). However, my two sound just like yours. My blue is 1/2 the size of my partridge. The partridge has a much bigger comb and wattles, I can't hardly see them on the blue.

I believe that my bigger one with the large comb is a roo and the blue is a female. This will be my assumption until they "show" me differently. I posted pictures of mine on here and several people did agree with that assessment of mine. You may want to post pictures as that always helps people give opinions.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I would say, from what you are describing, if they are the same age, the bigger one is a roo. When I have babies that are the same age, the roos are usually larger (grow faster) and get red combs and wattles. My hens will have very small wattles and not much of a comb.

4. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Thanks for the replies!!

I posted pictures on the "what gender is this" board, and they've all said roo. [​IMG]

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Here are two 8 week old pullets to look at. If you post a picture I might be able to tell.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by