5 year old hen had pulled all of the feathers off of her butt - extremely poopy butt-What to do?

kookieoboe56

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 10, 2016
My 5 year old hen has taken all of the feathers off of her butt, which is extremely poopy. Her butt is raw red. I have used some mineral oil and some vaseline on her behind. Besides pulling out her own feathers, she doesn't seem to be in much discomfort. I would like to do something to help her heal. She is not being bullied.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 5 year old hen has taken all of the feathers off of her butt, which is extremely poopy. Her butt is raw red. I have used some mineral oil and some vaseline on her behind. Besides pulling out her own feathers, she doesn't seem to be in much discomfort. I would like to do something to help her heal. She is not being bullied.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’m sorry you didn’t get an answer sooner.
Using vaseline, or other products that soothe & protect delicate skin— A&D ointment, BagBalm, etc— will certainly help the skin heal. It is likely that the very strong urates in her stool are “scalding” her bottom.
Hopefully, you figured that out for yourself and she’s on the mend.

Thanks. I have used the vaseline a bit, but will keep her lubed up until she heals. Much appreciated.

A poopy but can sometimes be a sign of poultry lice in the vent area. That might be itching her, causing her to pull out her feathers. Might be worth it to check. Not sure about how exactly to check or treat but you could probably find out how with some googling.

A poopy but can sometimes be a sign of poultry lice in the vent area. That might be itching her, causing her to pull out her feathers. Might be worth it to check. Not sure about how exactly to check or treat but you could probably find out how with some googling.
Thank you Goat girl.

We did not. She is otherwise quite healthy and happy, just missing all those feathers. We have been using vaseline on her rear every 2-3 days to help soothe the skin.

Back
Top Bottom