5+ year old hen w/chest callous, swollen chest, labored breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hollyinpa, Apr 11, 2011.

1. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Gladys, the last of our original trio of barred rock hens, has been increasingly lethargic over the past week or so. She is eating and drinking fine. We have seeing her "resting" more during the day by sitting down in the yard.

When I returned from a 5-day trip to GA, my partner mentioned that Gladys had a weird bump on her breast bone area and her chest area is swollen. When I went to the coop tonight...she didn't attempt to move away from me. In fact, she let me pick her up and hold her. I noticed a callous-type circle on her breast area and her chest seemed swollen. She's had labored breathing for a while, but it didn't seem to slow her down.

Today was different. The callous-spot didn't feel hot to the touch and she didn't seen to be in visible pain.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I can take get to the vet this weekend.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Is it possible for you to get a few pictures? It might help figure out exactly what's going on.

Does her chest feel hard? Like her crop is full? Chickens will sometimes get impacted with food or grass and start getting lethargic and uncomfortable.

She could have also injured herself and the callous is a remnant of the wound. We'll have to see pictures to know for certain.

I'm sorry I'm not too much help, but here's a bump so that people with more experience can help you out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by