5 yr chicken owner- life long animal lover : )

Tarcons chicks

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Hello!

I have been using BYC for a long time now and thought I'd finally make the commitment today and join!

Currently we have 2 chickens/hens: 1 white 4yr old Silky, and one 1yr old Buff. In five years we have had a total of 7 chickens. Sadly as of this morning we are down to only 2. We lost our 3yr old Bard Rock this morning to...a mysterious condition.

Other animals: 1 beagle mix, 1 cat, and 1 black and white bunny.

We have been chicken owners for about 5 yrs now and have learned A LOT about raising chickens thanks to this BYC site I found by searching for answers to my many questions along the way.

We live in North County San Diego, married for 13 years, blessed with 4 wonderful children!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined the flock!! Aww, sorry about your loss this morning
hugs.gif
We lost our 1 year old Light Brahma hen yesterday to a mysterious reason also. You have a bunny? How cute! Glad you have found this site helpful! Have a wonderful time on here!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes there were signs. About six months ago she stopped laying but was just fine. Then a few weeks ago she started acting different. First moving slowly, then sitting frequently, then I noticed her crop was like a water balloon so I read up about it. Possibly sour crop or impacted crop I guess. I emptied her crop, it was black and smelled awful. I gave her a couple of epsome salt bathes. A few other things as well, plain kiefer, electrolytes in water, mineral oil....the list goes on. She seemed in perfect health for two whole weeks until yesterday. Her back looked almost bent, back feathers sticking out on back spine and moving slow...then this morning that was it she was gone. :(
I'm planning to clean the coop and entire back yard tomorrow. And give the other two some dewormer just in case those were the cause and stay up with some other precautions; DE, Apple cider vinegar...

Back
Top Bottom