5 yr old hen with something in her mouth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Apr 6, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just been doing my rounds in the field and noticed my oldest hen was snuggled away in one of the nest boxes. i approached and she got up and darted out, but i saw enough to see something was wrong. round the base of her beak on the right side looked swollen, so i made a grab for her and got her. after struggling for 10 mins i got her mouth prised far enough open to see what looks like a hole on the inside where top and bottom beak meet. its an 'open' hole so i can see inside it. inside is a greeny browny yellow crusty cheesy looking stuff (looks like chicken pus but 'dryer'?)

what could this be? im gonna try and catch her again to get a photo cause i really cant describe it well enough..... abcess inn her mouth? fowl pox? bee sting gone bad???

2. SamanthaH

SamanthaH New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    Did you find out what was wrong with your hen? I have an americana hen, about 4 years old, that I think has the same problem.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Could it be like fowl pox, the wet kind?

4. SamanthaH

SamanthaH New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    I looked up pictures of chickens with wet fowl pox and I don't think thats what my hen has. Her head is swollen on one side but she don't have any spots on her face, and on the inside of her mouth there is just one big hole filled with yellow cheese looking stuff. Could she have fowl pox without having the spots on her face?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by