50/50 girl/boy....REALLY????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hanh3197, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    I was just curious... when you raised your straight run chicks how many did you have and how many turned out to be pullets/cockerels???
    Thanks

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Here were my odds on sexed as pullets from a well known hatchery: Bought 6 and 2 were roos! Those were not the greatest odds!! I was bummed too because I loved the roos but we couldn't keep them in our city. : ( They did go to good forever homes though, so that is good. I was DYING to know what sex mine were right away too. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. peej

peej Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    At my local farm supply they say 90% chance hen, 10% rooster... but who knows! [​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:And I bought sexed pullets and was hoping for 1 accidental roo and none. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're all pullets. Oh well. I should have ordered a couple of roos I guess.

5. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I bought 15 BR chicks in the spring. They were supposed to be pullets. After a month I could tell they were abviously straight run. [​IMG]
    7 have turned out to be cockerals! I would say thats pretty close to 50/50. [​IMG]

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched 5 of 6 fertile eggs under my broody and two are cockerels. I orderd 10 straight run and three are cockerels. I would say that my average is better than most but the 50/50 rule is typically the average. Off to the Chicken swap this weekend to see if anyone is interested in them [​IMG]

~Julie

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would say it depends on your source....I don't think all are honest
    I have gotten 75% cockerals, at least on my birds.
    I think what I got should have been advertised as the "leftovers after we sex what we want out of the hatch" [​IMG]

8. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I seem to have the worst luck with roos...
    4 pullets... turned out to be pullets
    2 straight run... both roos
    6 bantam BO SR.... 4 roos
    5 GLP SR.... 4 roos
    6 silkies..... still to be determined

I am easily rehoming the silkie and polish roos, but noone wants a bantam BO...

Think I would rather spend the money with the 10% chance for roos. Sure beats my 67% and 80% chances so far.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I picked a few chicks from the straight run bin and they are all hens. [​IMG]. My sexed chicks are girls as well!

10. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I'd say that I got more like 40% roos and 60% pullets from the hatchery. My hatched chicks appear to be running more like 60-75% roos, but they aren't as easy to tell apart as the hatchery chicks were, and they're younger. I'm still holding out hope that I'm wrong on some of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by