50/50?! I don't think so...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hurricanearran, Jul 20, 2010.

1. hurricanearran

hurricanearran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Denny Island, BC
    Excuse if this has already been dicussed.

We have 4 dozen chickens which were bought as day olds (and a little older... 10 days). Looking at the odds for the breed, one in 8-12 will be roosters.
    The sellers said they just sold as a straight run as they didnt' know how to sex but now as things are unfolding, almost 1/2 appear to be roosters...
    What are the odds or did we get dupped? Or is it too early to tell... they are only 2 months old now?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My experience with straight run has generally been about 50/50 - keeping in mind that is calculating based on 100 chicks hatched from a breeding pen. When you work with smaller numbers, percentages can go up or down.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm confused... how is there a breed where odds of a rooster is only 1 in 8-12? That's not genetically possible.

Half roosters would be correct for any breed.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:not real sure what this means but typically you would expect to get 50% roos...kinda like flipping a coin

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

1 out of 8-12? Where'd you get that number from?

Chickens' gender isn't determined by temperature like many reptiles' eggs are atleast I think its been proven that they aren't - they should usually come out somewhere in the 50% range. Sometimes you will get more or less of either sex - its a literal luck of the draw.

Also I think its something similar to humans - it depends more on the Roo what your going to get more of - male or female. *shrugs* but out of 100 chickens your looking at 40-60% being roo on average unless you know how to sex chicks. [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    distribution curves...those were fun...

8. hurricanearran

Jul 20, 2010
    Denny Island, BC
    Is that so...
    Where are all the blushing smilies???
    After some investigation, I know exactly where this (misinterpretation of) information came from.
    Blush.

9. hurricanearran

Jul 20, 2010
    Denny Island, BC
    For the record, I never thought those odds made any sense?
    Also for the record, despite our ignorance on that subject, we have 48 unbelievably happy and healthy birds. That is 24 feisty, featherly roosters and 24 lovely, lady hens [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With birds, the hen determines gender. Correct that temperature has no bearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by