$.50 cent hens and roos in NH *pics* added

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickenpiedpiper, Jan 22, 2009.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Today I followed a sign at my local tack shop to a bargain of 6 new hens, look to be 2 blue andalusians, and 4 easter eggers. Lady said one of them lays a blue tinted egg, but didnt know which one. For a buck a hen, I wasnt going to quibble!

She has 18-20 more birds, all unknown or mixes, mostly EEs, that need homes soon. She has lost interest, and they are living in an ancient and inadequate coop, gaping holes in the sides, no real perches, just rafters, and I didnt see any signs of a water source, but she has a barn nearby, so I assume they are being fed and watered there, with the other animals? The birds appeared perky, and healthy, tho there were signs of frostbite on all the Roos.

These birds are not laying now, and mixed ages, from months to 3 years. But I imagine given adequate water food and shelter, they will start to lay again. They are quite pretty, and I told her I would net work and try to help her find homes for the rest.

The birds do not appear to be under weight, and other than signs of frostbitten combs wattles, and toes, looked like nice birds. You can see the influence of Aracauna in most of them, along with some barred rock, and she said her original birds included spangled hamburgs. She let them breed and raise thier own the last year or so.

She is only asking 50 cents per bird, but we gave her 1.00 for each, and were quite happy. These birds are used to free range, and will never be lap chickens.

Anyone interested can email me, and I will forward her number to you if you want, she says she is not a computer person. The only reason I am involved, is that I dont want to see these poor birds waste away in these bitter cold temps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok, I took some photos of the girls we got, they are a good representation of what is there, (except for the blues, we got the last two of those.) I really think the birds are healthy, they just need better homes. 3 of our new EE's are small, and I believe are perhaps from this years hatch, (all look identical, sisters?)

I wish I had taken photos of the remaining birds, They are a colorful and eclectic mix!

Here are all 6 in our coop this morning.... a little nervous
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one of the Blues we got, looks almost like a copper maran!
    [​IMG]

Wont anyone offer the remaining birds a home?

3. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    OH! How gorgeous! Wish you weren't quite so far away!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    pretty girls [​IMG]

if you get a tinted egg it will probably be from the one with the pea comb (there is a link between the blue egg gene and the pea comb). The blues are something else, not andalusians. Andalusians have white earlobes, big floppy combs and usually have lacing. I would love to see pics of the eggs when they get settled in, it will help you figure out what breeds may be involved [​IMG] .
    She may want to list in craigslist, they go pretty fast there.

5. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Why doesn't anyone near me ever do this??!! I would love some, I'm down to 5 girls, yesterday one of mine got killed by a hawk!

6. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:Yeah, I knew they werent real andalusians, sure look similiar tho, in color anyways. I am certain they are a mix. I will watch for and photo the new eggs, but I am not anticipating them anytime real soon.

I suggested craigslist, or our local equivelant, Uncle henries, but she just shrugged, I am sensing either financial difficulties, or an apathy brought on by depression? (and who isnt feeling some of that in these times!)

Our new birds are really settling in well, they seem content to sleep and EAT, (I am almost worried they may over eat!) But in our snuggly heated coop, with fresh shavings and hay, I cant say as I blame them, I think they believe they have died and gone to heaven. One of them even eyeballed the bread I was giving the others, perhaps she will take it from my hand someday.....[​IMG]

Well, ask everyone you know, these birds really need our help!

7. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I cant believe my phone isnt ringing off the hook to get info on these practically free chickens!! Sheesh!

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If the chickens were in "old" Durham it would be close enough, but I'm a little too far south for New Durham. I used to love to drive up Rt 16 to N. Conway and Gorham, though!

9. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:The birds are not in 'new durhm' I do not have the birds, they are in Epsom, which is much closer to you! Regardless, if I thought someone wanted them, and transportation was the only issue, I would set up some sort of transportation.......

The remaining birds are not mine, I just want to see them find better homes...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Beautiful!
    Sadly our flock can't take any more for the time being...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by