50 chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonzo, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Is fifty chickens too many for a half acre? They would be housed in a few different coops with runs. Or would it be too much? I'd to have a few different breeds to sell hatching eggs, and chicks, and want to donate eggs to the local food bank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] I would love to see some answers [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Sounds about right to me. Taken from Storey's Guide..."The stocking rate, or number of chickens one acre can support in a season, for a free ranged flock on well managed pastureis 200 birds per acre. For a confined flock on well managed pasture is 500 birds per acre." I think this sounds like it would be pushing the limits, but makes your numbers much more reasonable [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Cool! I was afraid Id be too much! This helps! Thanks!
    Quote:

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Sounds fine to me. As long as you're allowed to have that many legally on your property--we have seven acres but are limited on numbers of animals we can keep per acre by county ordinances--we're only allowed 3 dogs total, or 1 horse/cow/sheep/goat per acre. Don't know about chickens, but no one would really know how many we have unless they snooped through seven acres of scrub and cactus counting them!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Just be aware you will have soil problems -- first bare spots and mudholes (esp. right near the coops), then eventually the entire area will go to bare dirt and likely become a sea of mud in wet weather (unless you are on extremely sandy soil), and there may be additional longer-term problems depending on what kind of soil you have.

So make sure you have planned to postpone these problems, and to be able to deal with them when they arise.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I would fear the mud also..

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    gonzo&hispeeps :

Is fifty chickens too many for a half acre? They would be housed in a few different coops with runs. Or would it be too much? I'd to have a few different breeds to sell hatching eggs, and chicks, and want to donate eggs to the local food bank.

Do you have 1/2 an acre available for the chickens or is your entire property 1/2 an acre? Our property is 20,000 ft, which is almost 1/2 acre, but about half of that is taken up by our front yard and our 2300 single level home - 50 chickens seems like too many for my backyard, but might not be for yours, depending on your land/home it is set up.​

9. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    also if they free range=no fretilizer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by