50 chicks too many??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, Apr 27, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    I was thinking of placing an order of 50 chicks. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

We have a little over three acres fully fenced with Chain Link and no predator problems (so far although they would have a coop at night) with two chicken friendly dogs that roam the property...9 straight run chicks in the garage brooding right now and need to build a coop and b/c local regulations permit 10x12 w/out permit that is what we will be building.

I was thinking of ordering 5 of 10 diff breeds...raise em up this summer and seeing which breeds I liked best and take the remaining ones to the local poultry auction (won't be a huge profit but birds sell for between 7 and 15 dollars and up for the chickens with 90% of the birds being roosters)..

Anybody have experience with raising that many baby chicks?? Should it be any much more difficult than the guys I have now? I check on them about 6 or 7 times a day (obsess much)...and everybody is doing great...of course I've only had them 4 days.

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I have about 75 or so brooding now with 125 on the way. Just have to make sure they arent to crowded in the brooder. Feed, water, and LOVE.
    Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] I can't imagine having 50 chicks.

It will definatly be harder, and more difficult than the 9 little ones you have

now. WAY harder. More mess, more stink, more dust, more noise...more everything!

50 chicks will also need way more brooder space, and ofcoarse, way more coop

space. Good luck!

~ScissorChick

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow! You are BRAVE! I have over 50, myself, but I worked up to it over two years...

OH, and welcome to BYC!!!

5. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    I think you must just admit there is something wrong with you when you are up browsing brooders and chicken pens till near midnight...better to accept and move on than to dwell I guess [​IMG]

I hope the neighbors like fresh eggs [​IMG]

6. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Sounds like a plan to me! [​IMG] But I ordered 125 the first time. Another time, after I moved and was starting over, I ordered 40 - I had a better idea about which breeds then.

From experience: between the first week and getting them in the coop, you'll need a real brooder box about 3 feet deep and about 8 feet long (or ten feet if you can), and two or three feet high or so to make a nicer experience of the time when they are under the light. They get big fast and that many trash the floor and feeders very quickly in too small a space. Could be nailed together out of plywood and wire in your garage in a couple hours. Much easier project than the coop. Can be on floor, or on legs. Make the door in sections so some don't fly out when you open it.

I got caught with delays on the coop, and was making circles out of cardboard, and then wire, in the brooding stage. Things weren't stable and scared them. Also wasn't was secure. The biggest tub - the christmas tree storage one - wasn't big enough for 40 - they couldn't sleep or rest with the others running over them. A bunch would hit the water thing and tip it over and got everyone wet trying to lay down.

Good luck.

7. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    What would you want that many chickens for?

Are you starting a business?

Do you know how hard it will be to clean that coop every day?

LOL

My suggestion would be to raise these nine little ones you've got, learn the ropes, see if you like the rearing process, and then re evaluate the idea of purchasing fifty chickens.
    If you just want pets, I think you've got plenty right there.
    Please do not think I am mocking or frowning upon you, I just want to help you realize the amount of work that goes into caring for chickens when you are truly dedicated to their well being (physically and mentally).

Cheers,
    Jasmine

8. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Hm, that's a LOT of chicks...What if the ones you want to sell don't sell? If there really isn't much of a profit why order so many?

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    If I had the land I would be ordering that many chicks. It is a great way to see what breeds you like. Also a thought if you are doing pullets only then you could sell them on CL as starter pullets the ones you choose not keep. If you understand that there will be mess ect then go for it. I know there are a lot of folks that order large numbers of chicks. I am not sure if you are doing this so they can be pets or for eggs and meat. If I had a farm I would be raising mine for eggs and meat. Good luck and have fun.

10. Thunder Bay Chicken

Thunder Bay Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    North of Thunder Bay
    I ordered 76 pullets and this is my first time chicken raising...

What the worse thing that could happen? I sell some... cull some for food...

I just wanted to try a bunch of different breeds, and the min order was 4 per breed.

I say GO FOR IT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by