1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

50 doz fertile eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 13, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I got a call today from the local school district. They want 50 doz fertile eggs for their elementry science project. 50 DOZ! They have 50 bators to fill this spring. WOW! where does somebody go about finding 50 doz fertile eggs locally? I told her I'd look around a little, but I don't know where to start

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Oh my..have fun filling that request. [​IMG] That's a lotta eggs.

Jody

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Are they going to incubate that many? Do you get to keep the chicks that hatch?

4. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    WOW!!! That's a lot. Are they hatching them out or starting the process and opening some along the way to see the diff. stages of development? That's a lot of chickens to try to find homes for.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] 600 eggs!!!! [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    It's for the whole district. 1 bator per whatever grade classroom. She'd like to have a dozen per bator, but would settle for 6. That is a lot of eggs. They've not had luck with shipped eggs in the past, but I'm wondering if they hold them too long.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

One idea for finding eggs in large quanities like that all at once is to check to see if the local univeristy in the area does research using a chick model system, or has a bio class that uses eggs. For the intro bio classes here, with 500 or so students, I would think they set abot 600 eggs, or 20 flats, for the lab on hearts.

Good luck on finding all those eggs under a week old all at once!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is an extreme amount of eggs for a school to want to hatch. If every science teacher hatched 2 doz that would make it something like 25 teachers hatching in the classroom. That is an over abundance of science teachers. Even 25 first or second grade teachers hatching at one time is extreme.

Are you sure there it was 50 doz or could it have been 50 or 5 dozen?

If someone told me 50 dozen to hatch in school I would be calling the local school board and finding out exactly what was to be the outcome of those chicks when they hatch and who was making sure the best of care was to be given.

Heaven forbid they are planning to send every 1st or 2nd grader home with a chick of their very own.

This is a very worrisome situation.

edited

Even 6 to a bator would make it 50+ bators. It must be a huge district to need that many and to be running that many bators.

I would call the school board and do some investigating before I helped anyone with this project. That is alot!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  9. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Hey Lone. I was googling and found this site. They are in Morgan CO. Maybe you can call them and they can help you out. Jenn
    www.larryspoultry.com

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

True, it would depend on the schooland district. Maybe it really was only 50 eggs... 50 would be more reasonable if you are in a small school distict with a few bators...however, if your school district is very large... I think seattle schools has almost 60 elementary schools, 50 dozen isn't that much, especially since each school has 2-3 classrooms of 30 some students each.

It would depend on the area. I wouldn't be surprised though if the students were going to crack them open at different stages to obersve devlopment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by